I-beam axle hold 35s

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markjeep9

I am trying to collect parts for my 51 international and although it's not the norm to run this large of a tire I happen to have 35in tires off my jeep that are too worn for serious off-road but still good for road use and I think it will look rather crazy on a chopped dropped pickup. My question is can a i beam axle actually handle this kind of weight or should I look into a different route? I want to make this truck safe thats the main thing but also want to have that borderline crazy look. If the i-beam wont work what would be the best looking but safe option to use? here is a picture of what im trying to do also if that helps. Oh and the tire weighs 70 lbs with out the rim so I would probably say close to 100lbs together
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Well, I think it would depend on what year I beam you are using. For example, a Model A axle is much weaker than a 48 Ford axle, and much lighter.

I would be more worried about death wobble than breakage though. If you notice, Jeeps with big tires have a huge DW problem unless the stabilizer is in good condition and I bet those huge front tires you want to run would take control of the steering on your car and do whatever they wanted to do. I don't know if there would be any way at all to beef up the steering on a straight axle to dampen out the kinds of forces those tires and wheels would exert.

Here is what I am afraid you might experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiv23dLhMY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE1vTMl69fw&feature=fvwrel

Don

oh yeah death wobble is scary!!! I've had it happen on a few of my lifted jeeps ...I hate to say it but it might look like ifs could be the way to go with this project even tho I don't really want to go that route because my front end is going to be open fender. If there was a way to beef up a solid axle set up that would be sweet.

Death wobble isn't necessarily due to the stabilizer being worn usually is poor steering design from the factory, and lifting it without correcting any of the steering issues just amplifies the problems. But I digress...

Maybe look for a larger axle from an old one ton or 3/4 ton truck, I would assume they'd be able to handle the added tire weight.

on my jeeps I ended up having to replace the stock track bar with a adjustable one after the lift to get all the angles corrected again. So I'm thinking a bit heavier duty axle and make sure I get all the angles correct and make sure it has a stabalizer that is a bit beefier than normal to help dampen any bad road manners. I know its not going to be the smoothest ride in the world but its a rat so I dont really care too much if its like a caddy I just want it to be safe. Looks like I have some serious reading to do on the steering and front suspension set up.

I would think that the average 1/2 ton pickup I beam axle would be just fine. As pointed out above, the steering and proper suspension design is very important to control the rotational forces of those tires. Naturally some axles are stronger but a 3/4 or 1 ton axle is going to be tougher to adapt modern brakes. 55-59 Chev 1/2 ton pickup axles are much beefier than the earlier ones and disc kits are easily available.

Latest posts

Back