I beam front axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldrodder43

Hello everyone. I wonder what was the last year(s) to find a solid (I beam) front axle under a vehicle? I am looking for one and don't know up to what year(s) I might expect to find one. Thanks. perley :)

Hello everyone. I wonder what was the last year(s) to find a solid (I beam) front axle under a vehicle? I am looking for one and don't know up to what year(s) I might expect to find one. Thanks. perley :)

Ford cars up to 1948 and Ford trucks up to 1964. The Ford truck went from the wishbone front axle to the parallel spring front axle in 1942.

Other makes I am not sure of.

That is right, Perley, and the most desirable ones are usually under the early to mid 30's Fords. The axles, springs, and all that got bulkier and heavier as they got into the 40's because the cars were getting bigger and heavier.

Nice thing is that Ford kept the same kingpin diameter from 28-48 so you can put later spindles (37 up) on earlier axles to get juice brakes, or use a simple adapter from Speedway to do the same thing.

Don

Econoline or Chevy G10

Ford Econoline 1960-67
Chevy G10 vans 1960`s
I have used both of these.I currently have one 1966 econoline and two G10 front axles , a 1967 & 1969 at my shop.
I buy everyone I can find locally.[dr
They work good,have car bolt pattern on wheels and both side steer.
Brake parts,etc,etc are cheap too.
I have heard 1960`s dodge A10 vans have beam axle but have not checked one out.

Ford Econoline 1960-67
Chevy G10 vans 1960`s
I have used both of these.I currently have one 1966 econoline and two G10 front axles , a 1967 & 1969 at my shop.
I buy everyone I can find locally.[dr
They work good,have car bolt pattern on wheels and both side steer.
Brake parts,etc,etc are cheap too.
I have heard 1960`s dodge A10 vans have beam axle but have not checked one out.

I'm using an econoline that I narrowed a bit to be the same width as a Model A. Nice thing is how easy it is to put discs on, no expensive kit. Just knock the drum off the hub, slap on some crown vic rotors (or in my case trim the hub a little and use Aerostar rotors to fit 14" wheels) Modify a cheapo speedway bracket for GM metric rotors and you are set. Econolines have early and late and I recommend using the later one because king pin kits are hard to find for the earlier ones.

Sincere appreciation for all of the replies and information. Sounds like a wide field to choose from (if I can find any of them). Thanks. perley

keep an eye on your craigslist too..I was about to buy one where somebody had installed a MII frontend in an F100 until a friend gave me his old one after he had installed an MII.. guy wanted $100 for everything he took off the truck..good brake kits are cheap and plentiful for those..

Tim

Thanks Tim...OK. I watch Craigslist regularly. Things like that don't show up often in this part of the world though. And thanks for that tip. perley

I never had any luck selling those 42-48 style axles, they are kinda wide. I think I still have a bare 37 axle in the iron pile, and for sure a set of 46 pickup spindles with juice brake backing plates. I also have a 36 axle that they welded the spindles to make a trailer, haven't tried to disect that yet, same with a 34 I haven't brought home, got model A axles a plenty but none stripped down. PM me if I can help you get rolling.

Latest posts

Back