I crushed it!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
squeez'd last week peel'd this week

thanks gastrick.

heres some with the paint PEEL'D and the new belt line corners i had to build the will end even with the top bed rail.

Attachments

• DSCF0005 (7).jpg
    DSCF0005 (7).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF0007 (6).jpg
    DSCF0007 (6).jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF0002 (4).jpg
    DSCF0002 (4).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0003 (5).jpg
    DSCF0003 (5).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF0001 (5).jpg
    DSCF0001 (5).jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 63
getn 'er dunnnnnn teardrop'd n frenched cab lights

well as some of you know this turd is going to the autorama in detroit in march, and ive been bustin a$$$ lately.

frames painted and striped

grille and headlights are done,

beds ready for paint,

doors are done and ready for paint,

dash is done,

been werkin on the cab. i wanted my chop to look a little different than any other orange 1940 chebby p/u so i added some frenched in cab lights was looking thru some ol rod n customs and saw a BILL HINES teardrop shape frenched ant. and wanted to try some of eastwoods new leadless body solder it is awesome, although i cheated and filled and finished with bondo it was still kewl to try the stuff.... the whole top will be covered with oddball orange large roth metalflake when done. dp1

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC01.jpg
    DSC01.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 60
with some color

so BADRATT says its a trailer queen now cause i'm paintin' it and smoothin out all the wrinkles can i still play with the rats?

heres a few more with the base coat pure orange applied will top coat with gold pearl and tons of flake. dp1

Attachments

• 005 (2).jpg
    005 (2).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 004 (2).jpg
    004 (2).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 001 (2).jpg
    001 (2).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 003 (2).jpg
    003 (2).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 39
lead free lead

thanks all.

i know i kinda copied bill hines's style but i like it.

the teardrop shape was formed with EASTWOODS lead free lead or body solder as they call it.

i scribe'd the center line for each starting at the top center of the cup.(i figured if this stuff flowed like regular solder it would follow the line scribed in the metal,) it worked.

made the tail 10 inches long on each, then scribed the edge lines from the edges of the circles to the point of the center line.

tinned the metal and melted the lead free lead into the rough shape i wanted, ground it and shaped it then filled any little imperfections with bondo. i was amazed at how easy the stuff melted and it took very little heat to get the base metal hot and melt the stuff to it. dp1

some color finally

finally adding some color to this pig. body works done, hinges are on, cutting in the main body color, then masking it off for the metalflake top.

played with some pinstriping on the lights too.

Attachments

• DSCF0007 (3).jpg
    DSCF0007 (3).jpg
    108 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF0008 (3).jpg
    DSCF0008 (3).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF0009 (2).jpg
    DSCF0009 (2).jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0011 (2).jpg
    DSCF0011 (2).jpg
    112 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0012.jpg
    DSCF0012.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 42
and

flake and stripes

Attachments

• DSCF0007 (2).jpg
    DSCF0007 (2).jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 33
  • tiki santions 003.jpg
    tiki santions 003.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 23
  • tiki santions 005.jpg
    tiki santions 005.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 26
  • tiki santions 006.jpg
    tiki santions 006.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 21
Very nice, dp1. The metalflake will be a nice touch. Do you know if there is a rattlecan metalflake paint that looks anything like the real thing?

Metal specks

thanks Bob, dupli-color makes a paint call'd metal specks its a very high content metallic enamel. it comes in grey orange red green n blue,
ive used it a few times its not the large crazy roth style flake but it is very metallic for best results i spray'd it in 70 plus degree dry weather, then clear coated it with high heat enamel clear, can of spraypaint 8.00, can of clear 3.00 on the cheap. heres a couple wheels ive done usig the color and clear, dp1

Attachments

• wheel1.jpg
    wheel1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 23
  • wheel2.jpg
    wheel2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 27
  • wheel3.jpg
    wheel3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 31
finally adding some color to this pig. body works done, hinges are on, cutting in the main body color, then masking it off for the metalflake top.

played with some pinstriping on the lights too.

You are doing one hell of a job on that truck.Is that Duplicolor Orange on the cab?Also any reason for not painting the whole cab at once?:confused:

Did you rattle can the cab or get the paint in the quarts and spray it out of a gun?:D

Either way you did it.Its really starting to come together.

I am also partial to Orange myself.

thanks

thanks 35mastr!
yes that is duplicolor rattle can orange on the truck, i originally painted just the spots that i thought i was gonna see waves or some of the bodywork show thru, (just to test my bodywork)and the edges inside the doors and windows, i have since went back and block sanded everything and am now getting ready to paint the whole truck the same orange using my spray gun the color is a 1999 ford/harley davidson orange (the color they use on the harley truck packages)

ford calls it pure orange i have the code at work if ya want it, i had my guy at napa mix it up in a 2 stage base coat/clear coat so i can put gold pearl and a flattener in the clear, as i want the bottom half flat and the top half is going to be orange roth metalflake and lots of shiny clear.

all the colors on this truck are out of a harley catolog orange,gray,teal, tan, and of course black. thanks again. dp1

Uh..

Shouldnt you BE working instead of showing off all of my work?....LOL...Looks awesome dude...will see you later.Gotta go look at a house I AM sure I will be renting shortly...Catch that hint..?!?!??! Even started packing...time to hit da road..!:D:eek::D

Latest posts

Back