I Feel Great

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echnidna

I Feel Great :)

I bought this 3 years ago as a project
attachment.php

28 pontiac with 253 V8

I needed a shed to do the build in.
So I setup the Wombat Sawmill in the backyard so I could cut the timber from some logs I had carefully scrounged to to build a timber shed with (and make some videos of the sawmill working at the same time)

Just before I started making timber from the logs I had a heart attack, leading to a triple bypass.
But the procedure wasn't very successful and has taken me about 2-1/2 years to get to the stage of being able to do physical work again. I also attribute some of the slow recovery to a couple of cold summers.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been putting in full days totally rebuilding an old Tandem trailer which is needed to cart the rod to and from the engineers in Melbourne, Each trip will probably be a minimum 5 or 6 hour round trip. (driving time). The trailer was a major build and a good indicator of my improved health.

The trailer will be towed by the 86 Falcon on club plates - the Falcon was bought to be the tow-car for the rod under construction, as my Hilux Ute is a wee bit small for long trips towing a loaded tandem.

I reckon I'll build the rod on top of the trailer as it should be a convenient work height.
I might try find a cheap Maco Mule for moving the trailer around in the yard

I still have to build a shed but I am now able to physically work again and it really feels great to be to be getting things done again. I expect to finish the shed over summer and it should be plain sailing.

The only downside is that her-indoors has suddenly found a to-do list of things about the house too :D

CONGRATULATIONS BOB and Welcome back !
Just take your time and you'll get along with your build OK,
despite the Honey-do Lists.

I had "ticker trouble" too but that was 30 years ago now
and I'm still going, slow but strong...........

Hang in there and Good Luck
Merry Christmas & Happpppy New Year :) [cl

That's good news for sure! [cl
It was my lungs instead of my heart but I had a two and a half year bout when I was 41 (13 years ago) It took me another couple years to get back to near normal and it gave me a whole new appreciation for life.;)
Glad to hear you are back at it!

Is the Wombat Sawmill one of those little portable band mills? I have an Uncle who has a Wood Miser band mill and it does a really nice job. Pics don't show for me either........would like to see pics of the Pontiac and the Wombat. :)

That's good news for sure! [cl
It was my lungs instead of my heart but I had a two and a half year bout when I was 41 (13 years ago) It took me another couple years to get back to near normal and it gave me a whole new appreciation for life.;)
Glad to hear you are back at it!

Is the Wombat Sawmill one of those little portable band mills? I have an Uncle who has a Wood Miser band mill and it does a really nice job. Pics don't show for me either........would like to see pics of the Pontiac and the Wombat. :)

Yes SnakeFarm, The main thing is to hang on and don't give up.

Wombat Sawmill It's a chainsaw mill, I wasn't happy with my bandsaw mill so I built the wombat mill.

I'm not sure if I have other pics of the Pontiac, my computer died so I cobbled another one together but I lost quite a few files. I'll have another search for some more pics in a few days.

It's odd that some people don't see the pic, so I just put it on photobucket and hope that pic will show up,

I can see it I hope others can.

28pontiac_zps3a895186.png

The thing I like about this style of car is that it will fit into a rod-run , hill-climb, rally or mud bash etc so it ought be a real fun jigger when it's going

I've been trying to figure out how to have a removable hardtop that can be stowed in the tub,
I suppose the penny will drop one one day

Last edited:
I'm happy with the proportions of it, but it will be a full ground up build as there are some things I'm not happy about.

I'll start with the ergonomics of the cabin as I want a car I can get in and just drive comfortably for 5000km or so without any hassles. (if I get the impulse to do a trip)

Good to hear things are on the upswing for you. Sounds like you are getting some things done. Take care of "she who must be obeyed" and then get after that rod.
BTW, what make is a 253 V8?

Good to hear things are on the upswing for you. Sounds like you are getting some things done. Take care of "she who must be obeyed" and then get after that rod.
BTW, what make is a 253 V8?

GGL fan? [cl

Lyndon Larousch is another underestimated individual
A little paranoid, Dry as hell. put you to sleep but great insight

A 253 is a Holden , an Aussie made GM engine.
It doesn't seem to have any true counterpart in American engines, which seems a waste to be designing different engines all within the same manufacturing company. I'd reckon they should have just done a variation on a Chev 283. But who knows the corporate mind?

Latest posts

Back