I got a free engine!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

42chevy

Rustier Rat Rodder
I have a friend who knew I have an Olds 350 in my '42 Chevy and would like to have a big block Olds. He called me Monday night and said he knew of one for the hauling. I went and got it last night about a 75 mile round trip. I have mostly decoded it and am very excited. It is a 1967 425 from an Olds Toronado, with a forged steel crank! It also has big valve heads and seems to be one of the most desirable big blocks Olds made. The stock HP/TQ numbers are 385/470 which is alot more than my mild '74 Olds 350. I am excited to eventually get it in my '42. I will post pics of both later today. Oh and the engine is almost totally complete and turns over.

Kool!!!

Wow... that's kool & free is always good!!! we have a resident Olds guy but he's on hiatus for awhile. Keep us posted!

BoB

Free stuff is sweet. I get alot of freebies--not cause I need them, but mainly because I don't do this for profit. Not against making a buck, just it's not my goal.

I try and pass it on when I get a chance--grow the culture--Karma n all that peace/love hippy stuff :)..

Congalations on scoring a Fine motor--the best they made..

PA41

Good scoop!![dr

425 had the same bore as the later 455. The 425 had steel cranks where the 455 didn't. Edelbrock has aluminum heads for them. I think you can bore them 1/8" over, I know the early 455 could take it.
I had a street/ strip 69 Cutlass a few years ago with a 350 Olds in it. I still have a 455 apart sitting in my garage hoping I can afford to build it some day and stick it in something.
Best part about the Olds engines, 10 valve cover bolts so no oil leaks like the small block chev.;) and small block olds and big block olds take the same accessories brackets.
Lightspeed Mike

It will replace my Olds 350 just fine I hope. Are the exhaust manifolds interchangeable? I will probably take awhile to do it, but eventually it will get done. I am usually not this lucky, and I am keeping it! I also found out a fairly large private vintage junkyard that is full of mostly 20's and 30's cars the same friend knows the guy. He thinks we can get some rat projects cheap, he is looking into it. If we get to go there and it is OK with them I will post pics. There are probably at least 50 cars that would be great rat rods and I live in a fairly dry climate that does not destroy cars as quick as wetter areas. I have known of the place for 5 years but never wanted to ask about availability because I have not had the money. Now maybe I will get one or two. There is a perfect patina'd 55 Chevy 2 door post there that is so straight it makes me almost sick. Thanks for the replies. I will post pics later today. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back