I hate this question but.....HEMI $$$ ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastCoastKrawler

What is it worth....I came across a 392 hemi with Imperial valvecovers and a 4 speed, compete, ran when pulled.

Guy is open to offers, lives 10 hours away.

What is a fair price? $500 ? $1000? what would you offer?

(Serious replies guys please....) Here are the pics...

Attachments

• Hemi1.JPG
    Hemi1.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Hemi2.JPG
    Hemi2.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 32
  • Hemi3.JPG
    Hemi3.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 24
Sometimes money is no object when it comes to fulfilling a dream or goal. If I needed an early hemi with a 4 speed, I would pay whatever the guy wanted. I paid $6K for a crate bbc and another $3K for a 6 speed. I probably overpaid but this is what I wanted for my car and I'm kinda of an instant gratification kinda guy.

I saw an ad for a running Buick 401 nailhead for $1400. Since I like nailheads and they are getting harder to find, to me, the price was reasonable.

Gassersgarage is right, it all boils down to how bad he wants to sell it and how bad you want to buy it. I'm a horrible negotiator and pay too much for everything, but if I want something I figure I had better grab it while I can and it is only money.

I lived in North Carolina for a while, and I learned a very cool phrase from the good old boys who lived there........when they wanted to buy something they would always say "what is your bottom dollar." That question is pretty hard to refuse an answer to and pretty effective in drawing out what the seller feels he will reasonably take for something. I have used that phrase a lot of times and it either gets you down to his rock bottom price, or gives you a starting point to say "will you take $____________ ??

Throw that phrase at him and see what his reaction is. Good luck, 392's are really special and those Imperial valve covers and four speed make it even more desirable.

Let us know how it goes.

Don

Drool, drool, slobber :p
Just what the coupe is askin' for. Don's hit it with the bottom dollar deal. That usually gets you at a price you both are happy with.

I bought one similar to this - (engine only) and missing the valve covers for $1200 at a swap meet last year.
I considered it a good deal.

A 392 Hemi is a very rare find these days. The 4 speed is a good find as well. I`m thinking $1500 for engine and trans would be plenty fair.

Not really the same but kinda ... I recently sold a good running 413 Mopar big block and auto trans for $1200.

Unfortunately it`s supply and demand. Very little supply...alot of demand. The prices will be high. Lets hope you get lucky.

I buy and sell alot. I get alot of gratification from making a good deal. In other words I am cheap. I usually come away happy, even if I didn't get what I was trying to buy. But then again, like all these other guys, it depends on how bad I want/ need what ever it is. The guy who is selling should be the guy who comes up with the first number. Then you need to see how attached he is to that number, by making him a smaller offer. Sometimes you meet in the middle after that, sometimes he holds to his number. When I am buying I expect to deal like this, When I am selling I usually stick to my numbers, because that is what I have already decided would make me happy, after all, it is all about "Me".

Old fat iron is hard to really find. The speed shops have realized this as well, and to rebuild that pig, it will literally cost you around $5k to build the engine.
if it runs and the seapage is minor, along with the tranny, get it for what you can, keeping inmind, your ethics and sub concience feelings of doing the old guy right. $1500.00 is a fair price to told jent who owns the setup. Hell, I am asking $750 for my old 54 hemi, and I won't anything less. So let your judgement rule on how you would like to be treated as well.
Kharma will play its' tune and remember life is full circle.:D

Maximo

Well I e-mailed him back asking him to come up with a price and telling him it's a 20 hour drive round trip to get them meaning about $500 in gas plus some food along the way.

Haven't heard back from him as of yet. i figure $1000-$1500 is a decent price and fair to both parties.

Ken

Latest posts

Back