i need an e-brake

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
i have a 9"ford rear end that came from a race car.
there are no emergency brakes on it (of course)
and i want to install some.
11 "drums
my question is.
what are the names of the parts i need to do this?

in other words
i need a shopping list.

thanks fellas!

I don't know the name of the part and I don't have a picture but typically there is a lever arm inside the drum.

That lever arm pushes against the brake shoe on one side when you pull the e brake.

Mine is a rod about 3/8" diameter shaped similarly to an L with a notch in one end to accept the brake shoe and a clevis on the other with a little notch in the clevis so that you can run the cable through it.

I guess I could sketch it but basically it works like this.

The rod mounts just under the wheel cylinder with a pivot towards the back of the vehicle.

From the pivot the arm drops down and the clevis is on the end of it.

The cable runs to the clevis and when you pull on it it causes the clevis side to move forward and the front of the arm to raise vertically thereby applying pressure to the brake shoe towards the front of the vehicle.

I hope that made sense.

In fact, I only have one control arm so I will be fabbing one up in a few weeks.

If you haven't figured it out by then I will post up some pics.

Here's some pictures of nine inch brakes. The pensil points to the lever that accuates the e-brake. You can see the e-brake cable still attached but cut off, the first picture is the back side of the shoes off the drivers side. The levers will be different for the drivers side and the passenger side.The lever removed from the shoe and the c-clip that holds it in place. The levers will be junk yard items and all nine inch e-brake levers will be the same. You can order the spring kit and new cables from your local auto parts store. I usually tell the counter guy I'm working on a 78 Thunderbird.

Attachments

• ebay stuff 6-22-11 041 (Small).jpg
    ebay stuff 6-22-11 041 (Small).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 8
  • ebay stuff 6-22-11 042 (Small).jpg
    ebay stuff 6-22-11 042 (Small).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 7
  • ebay stuff 6-22-11 043 (Small).jpg
    ebay stuff 6-22-11 043 (Small).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 6
  • ebay stuff 6-22-11 044 (Small).jpg
    ebay stuff 6-22-11 044 (Small).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 6
You are correct it's a headache. I lucked into a transmission mounted E-brake for mine. That's a hardcore 4 x 4 setup; when the guys use 2.5 ton / 4 X 4 axles they often go with a disc brake mounted on the rear of the tranny. It's claimed they have superior braking power over the cable mounted rear axle style. Some will use it as a primary braking system on offroad only units. They are OEM on some unit's so I'd imagine they would be DOT approved.
But they may require $$$ to purchase, sometimes that's a problem.

Latest posts

Back