I need help/ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt.Drillbit

Okay, I'm working with a front axle off a 1950 Ford F1. I need help/ideas on how to hook up the "bat wings" on it. Here are a few pics of the right left and whole axle.

This is what I did on mine. It's a 53. I used 5x5x3/8 angle, cut the forward edge shape of the batwings bought at speedway into the rear edge of the angle and mated those with "old sparky"...not a very good pic but maybe you can get an idea. Wound up being pretty clean looking trying to match that axle with a transposed spring.

I know a lot of guys make brackets to bolt to the old leaf spring mounts but I think it always looks like something that doesn't belong there. I've done some similar Chev axles by chopping off all the leaf mounts and drilling the axle to mount early Ford style batwing mounts or split 'bones. Pics are of a 55 Chev axle (silver with hairpins), 41 Chev axle,and last is a 46 Chev axle. They are all set up for air springs but you can also use regular Ford perch bolts and cross spring. Before drilling the axle for the perch bolts, I welded on a patch front and back so the drill bit didn't break through the axle web.

Attachments

• 2004 feb 29 008 a.jpg
    2004 feb 29 008 a.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 51
  • 2004 feb 29 009 a.jpg
    2004 feb 29 009 a.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 44
  • dec 5 09 rat 55 009 a.jpg
    dec 5 09 rat 55 009 a.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 49
  • dec 5 09 rat 55 003 x.jpg
    dec 5 09 rat 55 003 x.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 48
  • new project 2013 006.jpg
    new project 2013 006.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 44
I'm not sure your spring shackles are oriented properly. I thought that they are to be set up so that the perches are above the spring eyes and outside the ends of the springs and the shackles at a 45 degree angle when at ride height. maybe some one could post a picture of how this is done. not trying to be too critical just trying to help before you get too far along.

I'm not sure your spring shackles are oriented properly. I thought that they are to be set up so that the perches are above the spring eyes and outside the ends of the springs and the shackles at a 45 degree angle when at ride height. maybe some one could post a picture of how this is done. not trying to be too critical just trying to help before you get too far along.

In this pic I haven't put my shackle mounts on yet so they are just hanging down, I had made some at work but they were a bit off so I had to remake them today. I'll get them put on and post a pic. Thank you for the look out though Kenny much appreciated!

ZZ and smallfoot, thank you for your help. Your pics got my mind all in a whirl with ideas now....time to break back out the drawing table....

Everyone's help is greatly appreciated! I'm having a blast building this car learning as I go...

Latest posts

Back