I need some ideas (Post moved from Builds Forum)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisinestes

I'm building a rat rod... finally... and I need a ton of advice! I'll document the entire project here, if you like. The car is called "Gargoyle"

I've got the engine & tranny (Pontiac 230 HP DOHC Sprint Straight 6 & Pontiac 3 speed manual) I've got a rear end ('75 Jag). I've got a front end if I can make it fit ('75 Jag). I need a frame and body. I don't know what rat rod body styles are called, but I'd like a pickup look... Open engine, maybe no rear fenders, no roof on the passenger "compartment", no engine hood, maybe front fenders if the Jag front end looks funny w/o. I'm open at this point.

What do you 'spose should be my 2nd step? I guess I need to find a body & frame. I figure I can build a frame if need be, but using an existing is probably better for my first build. My budget is L.O.W. LOW, but I have the expensive stuff already, so I hope I can get it done for less then $2k... under $1k would be better. I can do 95% or more of the work myself & with the help of friends& family, so I don't see having to pay to have much done by somebody else.

What do ya think?

Chris

What do you 'spose should be my 2nd step? I guess I need to find a body & frame.

It sorta depends on what kind of car/truck you want to build. You can usually find an old T frame cheap, it would need a little boxing but would be fine for a 6 cylinder. Those old Poncho 6-bangers are pretty unusual and hard to find, don't think they made many of those. Good luck and keep us posted.

Toad

In a way you are going about it backwards. Generally, you find a body that you like and craft the rest of the car to make it end up looking like you envision. Every car build should start with an idea in your head of a car you want to end up with. For example, you have a Model A tudor body and from looking at lots of them you decide you like them sitting on the ground with no fenders. So, you prop up the body where it looks good to you and then you push the engine in front of it, where it sits right, prop up some tires, and then sit back and move things around until it starts "talking" to you.

It is very hard to do it the other way, where you build the frame and suspension first and then try to find a body that (A) fits, and (B) looks right sitting on that frame.

Don

If it were me I would decide what type body I wanted first before I decided about the front end. If you use the Jag front I would get a body with front fenders. I would do a drop axle in front with a square tube frame, truck cab or Model A something or another and leave the engine open.

RAT

With all the Jag stuff,wheres the rest of the Jag?Heck if someone can ratrod a Corvette,why not a Jag. Thats what rat rodding is all about. Be original and do your own thing.Copied Ratrods are about as boring as a car show with all the same brand and year of car in it.:cool:

Eh... just go take a drive in the country and drag yourself home a cab or body. Whatever you find that you think is cool. Then figure out your frame and how you'll fit everything together.

Pre-55 cabs or pre-35 bodies will work best. The late 60's cabs and 40's cars don't look right fenderless.

How about a speedster with no body just a cool frame with independent Jag running gear. Never seen it done? All the better. :cool: It doesn't get any cheaper.Next step up is a bucket body fabbed out of scraps and a little ingenuity. The IFS can be made to look cool fenderless, it's all about proportions.Fyi Jag and Chevy wheels have the same bolt pattern.I had plans to do something similar with my Daughter's BMW :)

Go to as many shows as possible, pick out what you like, take many many pics. And decide what you want to build, NOBODY else can tell you that!!

Good luck on which ever way you may choose !!! The guys on here are MOST friendly and helpful. They'll be your biggest asset and best critic !!!!!

Well, there's lots of real good tin in Colorado so don't drag home some mashed on swiss cheese sheet metal. You should be able to find a good old farm truck for $500 and can sell off the dross to the scapper and get half of that back after you glean the cab. If you haven't done this before, figure at least 3 times more money and time than you think. Once I thought I was going to show the world how to build a car for $1000 and do in in a year. Now it's 6-7 years and probably $3000 later and I am just starting final assembly, and I still need to spend $1000.

also go to car shows in your area and talk to the owners, I was at a show this wkend and I had tons of people walk up and ask how I did this or that, was kinda cool when my wife threw out some info also.

I think you get the idea.... don't just jump into

something just to make the jump.... take your time, find something close to what you want and then gleen other builds for those touchs that make it unique to you..... sounds like you got the enthusiasim, now find the right ride for you and dive in...... good luck....[P

Thanks for all the tips! I'm figuring out what kind of body I want.. not sure yet. I do need to drive around in the country and see what I can find. This is a great forum... I will be here for a long time!

Chris

I'm thinking a fenderless, chopped and channelled Jag about 3" off the ground with a highrise manifold and the carb at the roof line. Damn I just talked myself into getting the jag out of the father-in-laws junkyard and having at. I bet it would be super cool!

Make sure you have clean paper work BEFORE you get in too deep.
3X - It would have been easier to start with a body....
However, why don't you make your own body....mmmm
Use your imagination....
Find an old cowl (not cow), tractor grill and some sheet metal...

Latest posts

Back