I want to go racing!!!!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I thought I had ADD!!! :D Don, Beautiful Ford... gonna make a great cruiser for those cold Florida nights when u can't take the bucket out!!!:D:D:D

BoB

That's the game plan Bob. I love roadsters but they do have their drawbacks. Not great on long trips and NO luggage space. I'm thinking of leaving the 46 just like it is, patina, bumps and all. Then cleaning up the engine room really nice and painting it, and putting this small block down in there. Some junkyard seats and I am ready to go.:D

I figure if I leave the new engine pretty hot it will also make a nice sleeper. :eek:

Don

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together? That's gonna be a great sleeper, except for the rumpity rump exhaust tone.:D

sounds like a great plan.. the 46 ford will be cooler than a camero.... any day.. but thats just my opinion...

Cant wait to see you tear into it

That's the game plan Bob. I love roadsters but they do have their drawbacks. Not great on long trips and NO luggage space.

I know that's right!

I'm thinking of leaving the 46 just like it is, patina, bumps and all. Then cleaning up the engine room really nice and painting it, and putting this small block down in there. Some junkyard seats and I am ready to go.:D I figure if I leave the new engine pretty hot it will also make a nice sleeper. :eek:

Glad to hear that... exactly what I would do! Leavin' punks in the dust when they least expect it is more fun than anything!!! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

just curious, but what are your plans for the "leftovers" of the camaro?

are you gonna stub the 46 with it? what about the rear-a posi or no?
just wonderin'.........[P

just curious, but what are your plans for the "leftovers" of the camaro?

are you gonna stub the 46 with it? what about the rear-a posi or no?
just wonderin'.........[P

Well, I considered using the front clip but supposedly the 79 front is a couple inches wider than the more desirable 69 clip, Plus, I really am a straight axle kind of guy because I understand them, so I will probably go that route.

The rear is a different story, I plan on using the rear axle assembly from the Camaro and using something like the Posies or Chassis Engineering parallel rear spring set up. I won't know until I get into tearing down the car what ratio and all is back there, but like I mentioned, the car so far has every part on it that is represented by the decals on the sides. So I have no reason to not believe the one that reads "RIchmond Gears Limited Slip". I just hope he doesn't have a spool or some super deep gears in there.

As for the rest of the car, it is pretty well gutted, not much will be left. The Cragar mags have some rust on them, but look like they were straight when it was parked 6 years ago, so maybe they will be good for a low budget build some day. I don't see a mechanical fuel pump on the motor so there might be an electric one hiding in there, and maybe a fuel cell too. The back is up against a fence and I can't get into the trunk to see.

I have the wrecker lined up for tomorrow am to snatch it out of there.:D:D

Don

hey! what happened to the going racing part? i feel like i have been bamboozled, hoodwinked and flimflammed!! not to mention, cheated.:confused:

I know, I change my mind more than most people change their underwear.:eek: I still want to go racing in a little bracket car, but I also want to get my 46 on the road as quickly as possible. As much as I like cars it's nuts for me not to have a daily driver old car and this engine and complete drivetrain can be swapped into the 46 and have me on the road really quickly. Of course there is no reason the 46 couldn't be somewhat of a sleeper if I leave it looking like it is and dump the Camaro stuff in there. :D

Tomorrow is the big day. I pick up the car at 9 am and plan to spend tomorrow night starting the tear down to see what I bought. I went to it tonight and cleaned out all the old carpeting and cardboard that was home to a zillion carpenter ants. 6 bug bombs and one can of Raid later I didn't see one moving so it is safe to take to the shop now I hope. :D

I'll post some pictures of the engine internals as I get into it.

Don

Wrecker met me at 9 this morning, got the Camaro to the shop. Popped the trunk for the first time and found a fuel cell in there. This guy was serious.:D Found one more decal I hadn't seen.....its from Auburn Gear, so there are probably some deep gears in the rear (I hope)

Gonna start tearing it down tonight after work. Film at 11. :D:D

Don

Don,
I should have sold you my Chevy II Wagon and you would be ready to go !

Attachments

• Farm Wagon 016.jpg
    Farm Wagon 016.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 7
You're right Glenn, and that is one bad little II there. Looks out of my range though. :eek:

Today was the longest day at work ever. I couldn't wait for 5 oclock to come so I could head to the shop and start tearing apart the Camaro. I know a whole lot more now than I knew this morning.......all of it pretty good news too.

The first thing I did was pop the trunk open to see what was in there. My suspicions that this was a drag only car were confirmed when I saw the battery box with shut off switch in there. But what really convinced me was the small fuel cell.......it's probably 2-3 gallons so this car wasn't intended for driving around.

camarostartteardown008.jpg

Next I uncovered the engine. Luckily, although the car had been sitting outside for 6 years the engine was covered by 3 tarps. The blue plastic one shredded and was all over the top of the engine, but the other two seem to have protected it pretty well. There is some corrosion, but nothing that a bead blasting won't fix.

camarostartteardown007.jpg

I felt the insides of the engine were ok because of the previous peek I got when I removed the one valve cover. Here is what I saw in there.

camarostartteardown009.jpg

By the position of the first two roller rockers in this picture below it appears to me this cam has some serious lift. I found out it is a flat tappet cam not hydraulic but solid lifters.

camarostartteardown010.jpg

Bear with me, I have a lot more pictures to post and I'm slow.

Don

I knew the motor had a Holley 650 carb on an Edelbrock RPM manifold. I also knew it had roller rockers which I think are either Harlan Sharp or Comp Cams. There are Edelbrock valve covers on it and the heads are World Products steel Sportsman II with Comp Cams guide plates. The electric water pump is a Weiand, but I got a real shock when I looked at the harmonic damper. It is a Fluidampr.......cool, that will save me buying one. It also has an MSD box, MSD Pro Billet distributor and coil.

camarostartteardown011.jpg

camarostartteardown032.jpg

camarostartteardown015.jpg

camarostartteardown005.jpg

Once I got the intake off I could see it wasn't a roller cam engine (I checked the engine serial numbers, it is a 70-76 350 either 2 or 4 bolt main.........I'm hoping and betting 4 bolt) It seems like this engine was prepped right as the lifter area is painted with that same red coating Gastrick uses. I pulled the lifters out and they are perfect and are solids.

camarostartteardown018.jpg

When I got the heads off I found that this engine has been run as evidenced by the carbon on the pistons. They are flat top forged pistons, but that is all I know now. Like a dummy I forgot to measure the bore and stroke, but it looks like a 30 over 350 to me. I'll mike it tomorrow and know for sure.

camarostartteardown030.jpg

Next I jacked up the car and got some pictures of the underside. I was really surprised to find an oil pan on the motor that has a flat wide bottom on it. It is evidently some brand of racing pan but I won't know what it is until the motor is out.

camarostartteardown028.jpg

I also got a peek at the transmission. The fluid is purple, so maybe it is something like B and M fluid. There is a deep pan on it and the torque convertor is blue and seems small in diameter........but I won't know for sure until it is out of the car.

camarostartteardown034.jpg

There is a B and M decal on the car and no shifter so I am hoping that means it is a B and M transmission in there.

The rear end is a 10 bolt but there are decals for Richmond Limited slip center sections and also Auburn Gears. I hope that means that behind that Mr Gasket cover I have some surprises waiting.

camarostartteardown039.jpg

So that is pretty much it. Obviously, from sitting it has gotten a little ragged around the edges but it will clean up. Although the oil and anti freeze were like new I am going to tear it down and have my machine shop go through it all, including the heads. I am very sure that the internals on the motor are in great shape, judging by what I have been able to see so far.

Tomorrow night I plan to get more off and maybe get the engine pulled. I have a junkman lined upt to haul the carcass away as soon as I get what I want off of the car. Thanks for looking.

Don

Warning to Florida residents:
If u see a ratty lookin' tan fat fendered Ford with a rumpy rump exhaust... BEWARE!!! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

Don,
You needed that like you needed another hole in your head...

All joking aside, looks real good....
that is depending on how much you got it for...[S

I'm happy for you Don! Looks like you lucked on to a real nice piece. Can't wait to see the motor running. More pics please......CR

Latest posts

Back