I was asked to explain what a rat rod is

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
So I rattled this off, and kind of liked it. I am sure I didn't cover everything, but it is not too bad.

" Rat rods are nonconformists custom cars, and trucks, usually built by the owner, driver. They may not be made from one vehicle, but may be made by parts from several vehicles. They are built for fun, and artistic expression, and are usually built much cheaper than a classic show car, with less emphasis on paint and chrome, and more emphasis on the raw joys of building, and driving."

I like that they can be driven! My favourite photos of rat rods are the stop action in the dirt.

Do that with a $80,000 Easter egg, and your insurance company will drop your policy like inhibition at prom.

I don't know whose car this is, but its damn cool

Gold03

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 64
i have a brand new engine
the vehicle was built from 7different cars/trucks/van
and a $20 paint job.

Last edited:
Excellent definition!!! What more could be said? This is why I stopped building drag cars and started a rat. Sure will be glad when get to drive it. Every time I think I'll get to work on it something else comes up.

Personally I've never liked the "rat" part, and I feel that it's an injustice of someone's personal "expression/vision". For year's people have been building cars, trucks, bikes, mixing and matching parts from the availability of parts to the $$$ available. Now that you can buy a "new classic" car from a catalogue, have a number of shops build it(not to mention a $10,000 paint & body)the guy with the limited funds and unlimited ingenuity becomes the lessor of the two? Like I was saying before...never liked the word "rat" in rod, but have fully embraced it and all it's culture. That was MY reply to this kid at my job with a new camaro, which he calls a hotrod. Yeah, Bonehead nailed it.

I would have to agree with all that has been said. I would have to say I've been building these things for give or take 50 years and until about 15 years ago we just called them "hot rods". But then we called a place to get parts a junk yard not pick-a-part? [S
Keep building and driving what ever it might be [;)

I too have not embraced the "rat" term. Never liked it on bikes either. Most rat bikes were built for shock value or clownism as I call it. Not safe rigs at all. 90% on the RRR are good safe hot rods so I guess an RRR rat is ok. My family always just called them "drivers". Best drive train suspension and brakes we could afford and worry about the paint after. Dad's MG's in the 70's were drivers. Primer spots, maybe a few dents, seats patched etc. But we drove them all over the place even *gasp* on dirt roads. Had a blast doing it. Still do now only with V8 creations. Still call them drivers or plain hot rods. :D

I think you'd better change your screen name, that doesn't sound like a "bonehead" comment at all! ;):D

Seriously well put. The build quality seems to have gone way up in the past 5-10 years I've been watching this on the web. I really admire you hands-on guys who can build something nice and drivable from very little.:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

I couldn't have said it anywhere near as good yet, feel like you took the words out of my mouth. Rat Rods are out of line, out of the box, out of the casket.. Miserable conformists surround us..

Latest posts

Back