illinois titleing????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollingthunder

So I recently got done with my 27 roadster build.... I hand built the frame and bought the body fiberglass from speedway... illinois titling requires 6 months untill approved to be roadworthy.. I found a place in kasnsas that sells 27 frames with vin numbers..and since 27 bodies didn't have vin will all I need is a vin frame... or should I not chance it and say I cbuilt the frame and got a kit body and do the inspection... also for emissions what will happen with either scenario..thanks guys!

I don't remember you doing an intro (with pictures - hint:)), so depending where you live in Illinois, it might be easier for you to have a good friend title it in a neighboring state and transfer it over. Iowa seems a lot more straight forward in their title laws - although, I've never done a scratch built title yet. Illinois, I would guess, is a nightmare because... well, it's government in Illinois and they are money sucking vampires.

Emissions shouldnt be a problem, If its going to be titled as a 27. I think anything older than 1978 or something like that is exempt. I have lived in Illinois all my life and have never had a problem. I would talk to someone that builds cars I have a place by me called The roadster shop. They might be able to tell you. Went in there the other day... all I could say is WOW!

http://www.roadstershop.com/

also there is

http://www.radrides.com/

I have delt with the people at rad rides before on a project I had to do for my digital imaging class. They were real helpful and personable.

IL is a F#$K^%G JOKE on this. They are going to want about every receipt that you have, where the engine/trans came from with those vins as well. Then they will want to tax you on your finished project, not what you got in it, but what they assume it's worth. Good 'ol IL.

titles

go to your police dept and see if there do what is called a assign a vin to your vehicle you just need all the slips where you got everything from and it's that easy or by a title of e-bay and then seen it to broadway title for a new one in your name for 150.00 bucka that's what my friend did

Ive read thread after thread on different forums about the IL title night mares and have been through it myself once. Do not use a title company like Broadway. IL will not except the paper work.

At one time IL had about 100 title's that 1 guy was trying to pass thru. That brought up a red flag to IL. They did a little investigating and needless to say that guy got into some deep doodoo. A friend of mine knows a gal that works for the Sec. of States office and told him. I did get mine from Mapleguy out of WI. It went through.

Iowa is the same (I have only read the laws) when it comes to wanting receipts along with standard safety items. I grew up in IL, but moved to IA many years ago - IA seems real laid back compared to IL when it comes to transportation.

That sucks!!! Thanks for all the info guys.. I think I might buy a 27 frame from down south with a title and then just transfer the vin to my frame

The subject of titling a home built or mostly home built car always brings out so many varying responses. What complicates it is that every State is different than every other State.......some are easy, some are impossible.

It seems that what a lot of the problems boil down to is the States want their piece of the pie. We buy parts from someone like Speedway and since we are not in that State we pay no sales tax. But our State doesn't like that and puts roadblocks in our way so they can somehow get their share. If you walk in with a bunch of receipts very few of them will show tax that your State received, so they impose a value on your car and tax accordingly.

Florida tried something like this years ago and thankfully it got squashed. I bought my then wife a Lincoln Continental with a blown motor, and proceeded to build a new motor for it. I paid $ 700 for the car and after I went to the tax office and did the plate work I got a letter from the State telling me "You said you paid $ 700 for your Lincoln but the Bluebook value is $ 4000.00, therefore, you still owe us tax on the difference of $ 3300.00." I wrote them back telling them "Some 1989 Lincoln Continentals MAY be worth $ 4000.00 if it is in pristine, great running condition, but the one I bought had a blown motor and I bought it as a fixer upper."

I never heard back from them and a while later they dropped that program. :rolleyes:

Don

Don, also within any given state, it will vary greatly from one dmv office to the next depending on the employees and their interpretation or method. In Texas it was almost impossible to get some things done at certain county dmvs and a smooth breeze at the next.
I always advise to go in and ask BEFORE you even start a build and tell them what you are planning to do and ask what the proper procedure is. When you go in with a car already built they get a lot more suspicious about your motives.
Also remember that there might be several different procedures available but any given person will probably only tell you about one. One of the easiest methods I have used is to have a friend with a towing/impound yard haul it in and keep it the required amount of days and run it through an auction. I did that in Alaska where they used the complicated and expensive surety bond method to obtain titles for the individual person.

That sucks!!! Thanks for all the info guys.. I think I might buy a 27 frame from down south with a title and then just transfer the vin to my frame

I Maine, its easy to get a State assigned vin , but one of the requirements is that you produce receipts for the major components( engine , transmission, axles, body,frame ,etc ) so the state can confirm that none are stolen. You might be required to do the same. Good luck.

Thanks guys I think ill just say its home built. And give them all the money they want..but then ill have to do emmisions because its titled as a 2011..even though the engine is from 86

Do as much research and gather as much info from the state you are tring to title the vehicle in.
(Do not go by other states and other people stating how it is done in another state)

Follow all your states vehicle codes and proper paperwork requirements.

That's what I did and it still wasn't easy. Took four months.

But the best part is; You can beat them at their own rules and laws if you follow them. They eventually have to give in because they are up against their own laws.

Be patient..... If I can beat PA you can beat any of the rest.

Good luck
Don

Attachments

• DSC02047.JPG
    DSC02047.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 4
So I recently got done with my 27 roadster build.... I hand built the frame and bought the body fiberglass from speedway... illinois titling requires 6 months untill approved to be roadworthy.. I found a place in kasnsas that sells 27 frames with vin numbers..and since 27 bodies didn't have vin will all I need is a vin frame... or should I not chance it and say I cbuilt the frame and got a kit body and do the inspection... also for emissions what will happen with either scenario..thanks guys!

here you go.
it was easy to find.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...2fzmDQ&usg=AFQjCNFISkwUUWs5Je3E9vHP2XtAMnberA

Latest posts

Back