I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Step One

The first step in upgrading the performance of the dragster is to remove the slant 6 and torqueflite. Done.

The 300 Ford 6 is in the hole. Everything is gonna clear just fine. Lengthened the trans mount a couple inches to reach the Powerglide.

Motor mounts are almost finished. Just have to center the engine and cut a bevel on the mount end so it can be bolted to the frame. It's interesting that the motor mount holes in the frame for the slant six are going to be used for the Ford 6.

Very Nice!!!!!!!

That's a 300 six? Watched a horsepower program about building a mild 300 six....interesting....flat top pistons and bigger cam, doing intake and headers....should be cool, I assume your's will be along the same lines....anyway, floor looks good too....

Previously I had a puny, tired old Geo radiator. Always worried about overheating or the thing rupturing. Being short on money I was looking at all options about getting a new radiator. Then I remembered, I went dyslexic when I bought a radiator for the Reo. Had to get a second one. The other radiator was in the garage attic. Problem solved, even though it is probably overkill. I gave a couple 292 Chevy engines to a friend and he gave me an electric fan. Here it is. There will be a louvered aluminum cover over the radiator and the Moon style fuel tank will go on top of that.
My good friend Jim, who gave me the 300 Ford engine also provided the Clifford manifold and 390 CFM Holley you see in the pic. This engine might be happier with a 600 CFM carb though.

Yes, BN, the 300 looks a lot better in the engine bay in my opinion. Left to right weight distribution will be better too.

I need a header flange plate but have not found a supplier yet.

Bob..could you just do up a pattern....

Then have one cut out on a water jet? Then you could have it as thick a steel as you want....don't some of the guys here have water jets? Maybe they would cut you one.... [S Wonder if that would be faster and easier...

oh yeah,

definitely go with the 600 Holley, that 390 will be a restriction.

find a good used 600 vacuum secondary and use the center hung float bowls off of the 390cfm with the carb mounted sideways like that.

best to find is a carb stamped, List:1850-1, -2, or -3, and get a 4150 to 4160 rear metering block kit, so you can use real jets in both ends.

are you allowed to remove the choke blade and linkage and remove choke horn?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info BlueNorther.
Since the last post the throttle linkage and gas pedal mods are done. As is the front floor. The 1/8" thick rear floor has been extended to cover the longer driveshaft. The driveshaft hoop had been moved forward to meet rules. The radiator and fan are installed. Now painting the floor pieces. Soon I'll be done with the changes to be made now. The chassis will be stored on the trailer over the winter.
In the spring I'll get back on it.

Pops, Thank you for your very generous offer. I did find flanges on eBay at a good price.

The little rail job is dismantled and ready for "cold storage" behind the garage. I'll hunt for good deals on the parts I need during the winter.

Took the 300 Ford 6 block and rotating assembly to a shop in the Cheesehead state. It is .040" over already with a little rust in a couple holes. Hoping it will clean up with a .010" bore cuz then I can use big block Ford forged pistons which are much cheaper than custom made units for this engine. Had to use an ice chopper to make room in the truck bed. It's been a harsh winter from the beginning.

Dragster in "cold storage".:D It's a night shot. We do get a few hours of daylight in the winter around here.

Well Bob, I just went through the whole dragster post start to finish to see what's been going on and what changes you've made. Holy smokes you've been a busy man. Your whole approach has been inspiring to say the least. The class of car is one that many on this site see as something that is attainable financially, and can produce results from a respectable amount of work. You sir are showing us the way!!:D With a project list already as long as my arm, I have to really fight the urge to start a car like yours. But I will admit, I'm rethinking the project list...and some may have to go to make room for a vintage style dragster. If I do take the plunge, I think I would try the ice drags and make it a year around venture if at all possible. I see the Merrill WI ice drags have the test n' tune tomorrow (Jan 4 2014) and racing starts next week, right up in your neck of the woods. Thanks for the inspiration, we'll have to see where it leads to.

This shot makes me cold just looking at it....

Dragster in "cold storage".:D It's a night shot. We do get a few hours of daylight in the winter around here.

We are supposed to get slammed later tonight.....sure doesn't look like it now....sunny but about 12 degrees....minus tonight apparently....

The poor little dragster is almost totally covered with snow now. The 300 Ford 6 block has been at the engine shop for a while. It was just magnafluxed and no cracks were found. It is already .040" over bored but will clean up with another .010". That means the pistons I got from the nice UPS guy today will work. They are forged, standard bore units for a 390 Ford. The flat top should give a nice compression bump compared to the stock pistons which have a .300" deep dish.

Latest posts

Back