installing a windshield

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin53

Just got my front window gasket and getting the windows made how hard is it to install myself anyone else ever do it on their own any threads or videos. I have 53 dodge pickup. Thanks

I always let a glass company do it! Broken a couple in my time trying to save a little money, not worth it IMO! :D

Beercan

My thoughts.... I've installed a lot of glass both gasket & glue in ....
If this is your first w/s install pay someone & watch'em & ask questions ..[P..next time you'll know if its something you want to do or not .
There is something to be said for being able to do it yourself... on the other hand around here $65.00 you're done & no cracked glass .[cl

info

I posted this on another forum and there are pictures on there too ( hotrodders.com)
Originally Posted by timothale
Make sure the flanges are smooth, hammer and dolly, sometimes the guy doing the welding would have his spot weld gun crooked. Also make sure there are no sharp burrs or spot weld flash that would damage your new rubber. File sand or grind the flange as needed. It can help to have the rubber warm, almost too hot to handle. usually the nylon cord is doubled at the top. , start at one side, around the perimeter, then doubled across to the other side.
for a while my brother worked at Ford, would do a windshield with a helper in about 5 minutes, install the rubber to the glass, then into the truck. I still have a couple of factory windshield tools I bought at the Garage Sale when they closed the factory, to install the cord to the slot in the rubber, it has an oval ring welded on the end of a screwdriver, thread the cord thru the hole then pull it around the rubber. Another "regulator" tool, A 1/4 inch tool steel rod turned down to form a 1/4 in ball on the end, 1/8 in neck taper back a couple inches. the end is bent L shaped with a 1 inch leg. Then it was pressed into a screw driver handle. It is used to help pull a stubborn rubber inside and not tear or cut it.

Latest posts

Back