Insurance : Fyi

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonMan

I read another thread here, talking about insuring these old cars. I just wanted to mention my experience.

I used J.C. Taylor Insurance. A local independent agent wrote the policy. This policy was for my daily driver `67 Chevelle. This policy had an agreed value of $12,000. This is "full-coverage", no-deductible, no restrictions, no mileage limits policy. All they asked was that I provide proof that this is not my primary vehicle. They also require that it is parked in a locked garage each night.
The cost : $72 per year. Amazing, huh ?

Unfortunately, my lovely wife was driving it one day and pulled out in front of a big-azz 4x4 Suburban and got t-boned hard. She was carted away in an ambulance and the poor Chevelle was a total loss.
Here`s the happy ending -- I asked to keep "the remains" and received a check 2 days later for $11,650. I parted out the Chevelle and the wife recovered fully (a cut to the head).

Now the unexpected part : J.C. Taylor called a few weeks later and said that since the car was a total loss, they were going to cancel my policy. I received a check for the remainder of time left on the policy ( $47 ).

So, if anyone is looking to insure their old ride, look up J.C. Taylor Insurance.

I had Hagerty Insurance but it was expensive. For 2 cars, 32' Ford and a 65' Chevy, it was about $1100 a year. The Ford was insured at $45K and the Chevy, $25K. Heard about this great agent for Grundy Insurance and how their rates were so cheap. Called this agent and got the same insurance for $480 a year. Couple of years later, I got a Notice of Cancellation from Grundy due to lack of payment. Tried calling the agent but the phone was disconnected. Tried e-mail but the messages got bounced back. Went to his office, but the office had closed.

Finally tracked him down. He now works out of his home. He said he would send the payment in. I suspect he was using the payments for his own personnel use. I didn't trust him after that. Canceled Grundy and went with Parrish Heacock Insurance. More expensive than Grundy. Perhaps I'll switch back, without that agent someday.

Funny. When I e-mailed photos of my 31' to Heacock, their agent called to see if I would sell the car. I said thanks, but no thanks.

I have Grundy and have been happy with them. I don't use an agent though, I went directly to them through their website. I don't think that I have a mileage limit but I can't remember now. The cars are supposed to be kept inside though, which they are.

Another thing I forgot to mention --- J.C. Taylor requires that the car be stock or at least stock appearing, no blower sticking through hood, no big tires, etc...

Our rat rods would not qualify, but if you had a nice musclecar or something ...

i need to call these places and see what i can get for my vette, right now i'm a too old for blue book, too new for stated value, your screwed if something happens policy :eek:

Latest posts

Back