Intake Questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratcrazy

I posted this same question on KB site. Searching for some suggestions here also on this subject.

I have a 1964 Chevy 235ci straight six (stock) and need to know what kind of intake to look for. I want to bump up the cam a little to make it sound good but nothing to wild and put on a headed if I can find one. Thats about all I want to do to the motor.

Is there any such animal as a 4 barrel intake or a 3x1 or a 3x2 intake for this motor or am I pretty much stuck with the basic 1 barrel?

Can a turbo charger from a late model be adapted to this engine?
Trying to see what my opinions are and which way to go with this. I am going to run a powerglide tranny.

Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Thanks and God bless.

There are all sorts of intakes and mods available for the later model Chevy 6. If you are keeping your engine fairly stock I wouldn't go with much more than a 2x1 intake or a small CFM four barrel. Clifford and Offenhauser make a lot of speed parts for these engines. Check out http://www.inliners.org/ to learn everything you would want to know and then some...

intake

I belive JCwhittney used to sell a 4 bbl. intake for this motor, and yes you can put a turbo on it if you dont mind doing some fab work, you can even buy a blow through carb from summit or jegs, build a air box to house the carb and seal it off, run the air tube to the turbo, you can even mount the turbo anywhere in the exhaust line you wish, it dosent need to be right at the end of the header, for a header, you could build your own, just a little fab work and you can do a lot if you think it through.

Thanks guys for your replies to this question so fast but I was just informed on KB that chevy stopped using the 235 in 62?????????? Now I am confused as to what I really have.

I bought the engine thinking I was buying a 250 but was told a few days later that it was a 235. I myself do not for sure what it is.

Help me out here is possible. Are there numbers on the block to tell me what it is or do I have to tear it down and measure the cylinders?

:confused:

Thanks

engine

see if this helps, you may be able to figure out what there talking about I cant. lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Straight-6_engine

I just found this also see if this helps.
The date -cast-on codes are embossed under the rear lifter cover plate. [A-L=Month][1-31=Day][last digit =decade: 8=1968].
You might get a wider audience on Inliners.Org and the Stovebolt Page.
Hope this helped more that it confused.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your replies to this question so fast but I was just informed on KB that chevy stopped using the 235 in 62?????????? Now I am confused as to what I really have.

I bought the engine thinking I was buying a 250 but was told a few days later that it was a 235. I myself do not for sure what it is.

Help me out here is possible. Are there numbers on the block to tell me what it is or do I have to tear it down and measure the cylinders?

:confused:

Thanks

What are the block numbers? Any pics of the engine?

I just saw a new 3-1 intake and valve cover on C-list for cheap a few days ago. If you start looking and be patient there is lots of stuff out there. Clifford is good on the 63 and up engines but they are pricey.
Get a search going on ebay. I am watching for 300-6 stuff and have seen a dozen Clifford and Offy 4 bbl intakes go through ebay in just a couple weeks. Probably that much chevy stuff too.

The 194/230/250 has the same bolt pattern on the flywheel end as a V8, the 235 doesn't. 235 intakes are round, others are square. Two side covers on 230, one on 235. These are the easy ways to tell 'em apart.

Thanks folks for all your help. This gives me a direction to go. I will keep ya informed as to how its going.
Thanks again and God bless

Here's a couple of pictures of the engine, maybe this will help ID it.
Again , thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• DSCF0689.jpg
    DSCF0689.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0686.jpg
    DSCF0686.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 16
ok, It is a 1964 Chevelle motor, and yes it is a 230ci. Thanks R Pope for pointing this out to me about my mistake. And again I want to thank you all for your help.

Latest posts

Back