Is this engine rebuildable?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkansawer

Hey everyone, im wondering if this motor has any chance of running again. There isnt any heads on the motor and rust inside the cylinders and everywhere else. Also, is this the 292 Y block, or the 352?

l_2b67770af320b7eba1ca45d3dc7a0d3e.jpg

l_dc90f1dd353d00e58b02de598865d09e.jpg

I figured id ask here, as yall have done some amazing stuff with engines, especially originals. [cl

You can save it probably, but at what cost? The time spent or money spent to clean it up might be more than it's worth. If it hasn't been bored the cylinders should clean up, you might have to bust the pistons out.
I wouldn't want to start piecing an old engine together though.

You can save it probably, but at what cost? The time spent or money spent to clean it up might be more than it's worth. If it hasn't been bored the cylinders should clean up, you might have to bust the pistons out.
I wouldn't want to start piecing an old engine together though.

It could probably run again, but it would be better in my opinion to start with another motor. One that had pretty much everything on it. Some of those parts can be hard to find. Stuff like head bolts, rocker arms, shafts and special bolts for the stands.

I would look for another engine, at least one that has all of its parts, soaking it in vinegar for a couple of days will take the rust off, but then you'll still have some serious pitting, and like RPM said the search for the small parts will beat you up pretty bad.

It's a 292.
Did you look around for the rest of it?
Maybe the guy stashed all the parts somewhere. Looks like the rust isn't fatal, if you really want a Y it could be worth buying. The truck itself might have 200 beans worth of salvageable parts on it.

Latest posts

Back