Jaguar???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Visinedrops

Okay, I've acquired an '83 Jaguar XJ6...for $300. It looks like hell, but runs and drives. WAY too many electronic gizmos and more wire than I've ever seen in a car before. The thing weighs close to 5000 pounds.

Now, since I've never seen anyone do anything to a Jag except make it look even more sleek than original, I'm thinking "why not rat it out?" I've thought of a few different ideas, but I'm running out of them. Then it occurred to me, I like camping, and I like driving in style...so I cropped this picture of what I'd like to try...what do you think?

jagmotorhome.jpg

that would be cool looking i think, a few years ago i saw a Nissan camper with a small sized Nissan truck cab so this wouldn't be too different. Will it have enough power tho?

Good luck...

I can appreciate your creativity, however you would have your hands full making the conversion work. The uni-body is going to be your first challenge. If you manage to work out an undercarriage that is capable of supporting the camper, your next challenge will be the gas tanks in the quarters as well as all the "unidentified objects" and electronic gizmos stashed in your trunk, or "boot" as the Brits call it. The smooth ride of the car would be completely compromised, which is one of the biggest reasons for wanting to drive the car in the first place.

You might be better advised to put a towing kit on it and just pull a camper behind it.:D

I think you'd be better off pulling the engine and rear end and sending the remainder to the scrap yard! V12 Jag engines are badass in a rat rod. There are several great threads on here that illustrate my point. I hate to be critical of your idea but you asked for input. The camper thing just doesn't do it for me.

Check out this Jag powered Model A.

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7682

Last edited:
XJ6 is a unibody, I don't think it will take to well to being camperized.

The front and rear suspesions are easy swaps into older cars and trucks. I have front and rear jag stuff to go in my next chevy truck.

FYI.... wheel bolt pattern is chevy 4 3/4"

Great input. Thanks everyone. Oh, and Moronthethrottle, I do great with wiring, so those gizmos are not a problem.

Considering it is a unibody, structural integrity would be high priority, and if done improperly, I could wind up crumpling the entire car itself. Back to the drawing board.

As far as wiring goes. there is always the option of riping it all out and going back with a street rod wiring harness.

I have been tempted to pick up a late model big BMW that has water damage and do that. Once the electrics have been wet, nobody wants one.

If you don't like it Lump it!

Bring that kitty to life with a small block or big block! That will eliminate a good amount of useless Lucas wiring, lower the weight and increase the HP.

If that's not enough, chop the top, drop it into the weeds and paint it flat black with gloss black flames. You could suicide the rear doors too for extra flare. Shave the door handles....the possibilities are endless.

XJ6 Camper

Hey guys what ever happened to build what you want, even if it only makes since to you, thats what were all about isint it ????? If you want a jag camper go for it and I hope you enjoy it, it don't need to make since, If you want it it can be built. just my .02

Hey guys what ever happened to build what you want, even if it only makes since to you, thats what were all about isint it ????? If you want a jag camper go for it and I hope you enjoy it, it don't need to make since, If you want it it can be built. just my .02
I totally agree but when someone asks what we think can we not express those thoughts? And if some think it isn't a good idea, is it wrong to say so after having been ask?

Did a sbc swap in the mid 70's to a Jag XJ6. Got everything to work properly, even the air. Made a pretty nice car but the chicks didn't dig it then.

I totally agree but when someone asks what we think can we not express those thoughts? And if some think it isn't a good idea, is it wrong to say so after having been ask?

Well said! My thoughts exactly Willowbilly. If I'm asked for an opinion I'm gonna give my honest opinion. Even at the risk of ticking somebody off. :D

While we're on the subject of Jags, let me submit this radical XKE with a 327 sbc. Note the jaguar leaper punching through the hood, like the stacks in the show thread that T1 submitted. To me, this is one of the few examples of how to take a stock Jag and make it even cooler.

WildJag1.jpg

WildJag2.jpg

102_0229_IMG.jpg

Latest posts

Back