JD Blitz Black paint

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewIronRats

I have decided to use John Deere blitz black paint on my truck and I need to know if it can be sprayed with a Wagner Power painter.I know 0 about painting and need to know if this will work or is there another way. I know that the paint can be bought in spray bombs but I dont know it I want to spray that many cans of anything.If I knew it would turn out ok I would use a roller to appily it. Thanks in advance for any help given.[P[;):cool:

If were you , I would go to Harbor Freight and buy the big cheap gravity gun. They are about $29 and if you want, you can just throw it away once done. That is, if you have an air source for it. I wouldn't suggest rolling it, and the Wagnor power painter may not shoot a uniform coat for you. Sounds like you're on a budget , and who isn't, but a cheap gun with good dry air will do a good uniform job. Hope that helps

Any of that implement paint will need to be reduced somewhat but not alot.
I used it on my frame and is very durable
It will also take a couple days to dry even when it's hot out LOL

I sprayed this coupe. with primer/sealer 20+ yrs ago with an airless. paint sprayer

Just reduce it to give good spray and flow. I did it out side.

Attachments

• My 40  front.gif
    My 40 front.gif
    49 bytes · Views: 148
  • My 40.gif
    My 40.gif
    49 bytes · Views: 147
  • 100_1608 my 40 dodge biz.cpe..jpg
    100_1608 my 40 dodge biz.cpe..jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 46
it should work perfectly fine with you airless -- JD paint is just an enamel paint made by Valspar specifically for john deere --- i would say definately reduce it -- maybe try 4oz - 1ozthinner and work your way from there - just look for the right consistency - i know jd also makes a thinner but i think any thinner would work just fine- i used mineral spirits also and it worked well but it was with rustoleum -- as for the drying/hardening -- there is hardener that can be added by john deere - comes in pints i think -- mixed 8-1oz -

I guess the thinning is the key to getting it to lay down. I sprayed a van years ago with a Wagner and it came out very rough and textured. I think the paint was too thick to flow right.

Don

I guess the thinning is the key to getting it to lay down. I sprayed a van years ago with a Wagner and it came out very rough and textured. I think the paint was too thick to flow right.

Don

may have had to do with the tip you were using on the gun also -- but it should be much much lighter than it comes in a bucket :)

If were you , I would go to Harbor Freight and buy the big cheap gravity gun. They are about $29 and if you want, you can just throw it away once done. That is, if you have an air source for it.

I agree, I bought 7 of them when they put them on sale for $7! I hate cleanin' up so I just toss 'um when I'm done!

BoB

I could not believe it, today me and my brother went to Huntsvill to hunt some junk and hang out when low and behold we saw an old ford f100 truck in a parking lot with the kinda paint job I want for my truck.We waited for the owner to return and when he did,we asked him what paint he used and he said rustoleiam flat black-sorry for my spelling-. He told me to get a gallon and roll it on strait from the can with a very short nap roller for the effect he got.He told me he has been using it for years on his trucks with no problem.I may give it a try. Thanks to everyone for the advice.[;)[P:cool:

I was supposed to use JD BB on that Trans Am I painted a few months back but ended up using PPG ALK 200 Has a nice flat rat rod look. I used HF HVLP gravity feed spray gun kit, the only problem was i used Hibuild primer without reducing it and it really clogs up the guns.

the JD BB should work really nice with a reducer/hardener 16:1

I could not believe it, today me and my brother went to Huntsvill to hunt some junk and hang out when low and behold we saw an old ford f100 truck in a parking lot with the kinda paint job I want for my truck.We waited for the owner to return and when he did,we asked him what paint he used and he said rustoleiam flat black-sorry for my spelling-. He told me to get a gallon and roll it on strait from the can with a very short nap roller for the effect he got.He told me he has been using it for years on his trucks with no problem.I may give it a try. Thanks to everyone for the advice.[;)[P:cool:

that old mercury was painted with rustoleum satin black rolled on.

just wanted to add that if you use jd paint you MUST use jd reducer/thinner....don't ask me all that can go wrong if you don't...:( and it doesn't take much to get it thin either.....use the can as a recommended start and experiment a little until you get it to lay down to suit you....

painted a lot of JD tractors and i used blitz black on my hot rod's frame

I sprayed my Hudson and this 53 Buick with JD blitz black both outside on calm days and all I did was reduce it down with mineral spirits, thats it! I used a cheapo hvlp gun and it laid on nice, super easy to paint! The paint on the Buick is three years old and looks as good as the day I sprayed it and ya it gets driven! Just give it a try, you'll be amazed at how good of a job you can do, I'm NO painter and I am very pleased with the way they came out!
IMG00023-1.jpg

IMG00166.jpg

I sprayed my Hudson and this 53 Buick with JD blitz black both outside on calm days and all I did was reduce it down with mineral spirits, thats it! I used a cheapo hvlp gun and it laid on nice, super easy to paint! The paint on the Buick is three years old and looks as good as the day I sprayed it and ya it gets driven! Just give it a try, you'll be amazed at how good of a job you can do, I'm NO painter and I am very pleased with the way they came out!
IMG00023-1.jpg

IMG00166.jpg

They both look great. This summer my truck will turn black.I cant wait till it warms up.[;)[P:cool:

Latest posts

Back