just a little confused

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timeless softshoe

HEY ! anybody else ever get ticked off at the local so called auto parts store's these days? or am I just getting a shorter fuse or maybe crabby, I mean you need a fan belt lets say, its a custom build on a custom bracket with a chevy or ford mopar what ever , just a skinny 'ol school belt you have the measurements lets say 30"and you go ask the clerk for a belt he or she says what car what engine etc, the normal computer question, and you say don't know but this is the size I need 30" they say I can't help you if you don't know what is off of, you say chevy but a regular belt won't fit its got a shorter bracket etc , and so on ..well we can't help ! we need to know what size engine etc, ever run into that ..or a carb or tierod whatever the part might be, radiator hose? they don't even want to go look ? sound like a helpful parts store to you?

Last time I went into Autozone I was looking for some cut-to-length plug leads. The counter girl told me they don't sell plug-leads! It was only when I refocused that I noticed the whole of the wall behind her was floor to roof in plug lead boxes of all types....

Nowadays they can simply put a number into the computer, and that tells them where and how much, no knowledge of cars required.

When you find a good car guy, look after him!

If you think parts houses are bad... try finding something at a car dealership parts counter. Most of those guys know nothing about cars & can only look up a specific part for a specific car... worthless! Last time I went to a dealership I left in disgust! [S

BoB

I usually just ask if I can look at the radiator hoses and belts, that I need a part for a custom car, and they usually don't mind at all...

Had the same run in Friday evening getting bolts. I needed 1/2",grade 5. All that was in the bins were cap bolts. When i asked the head buck that worked there for grade 5, he told me thats what they were, cause thats what it said on the bin number. I explained to him that I would like to see the 3 little marks on the bolt head, he told me they don't use them anymore, (ya,right!).
Brian

Sadly, the salvage yards ask what year and make too. Lucky for me, my local auto part store knows me, and knows I work on weird stuff, so when I need belts and hoses, they just let me go back in back and look for what I want.

We're lucky in those respects.
A local parts store is owned by an ex Frisco mechanic and his racer son.
They can just about find anything with just a few clues.
They will let us regulars take several parts home to try then bring what we don't use back without ever charging us till we're done :)
Yes we patronize them heavily and will even let them order for us ;)

I am lucky a really good friend of mine is a manager at an Advance Auto, so no problem with parts. The local auto parts is a nightmare though. I as for a 15/16 shallow freeze plug. Wanted to look it up. Same old thing can't look it up as it is used to reverse a Corvair box. Just had to go look for myself. Where do they find help now days?

You think thats bad, have a cash register go out while they're trying to
make change!! Even if it's something simple, they'll look at you like the
world is comming to an end!!

I know its bad when you know the store better than the people working there.I was needing some 3/8s steel fuel line and the guy said "they didnt have any" so I take him to the back and showed him hanging on the wall.He says "thats brake lines" I say "not the ones thats big as your pinky finger."

It is the fault of the company, not the employee. Companies expect to hire people for minimum wage or slightly more, give them a weeks training, and have them be "professionals." In addition, lots of companies these days consider 32 hours full time, and they want you to go home when things are slow. No experienced parts guy will work for that kind of money and hours, so they get kids who don't know a darned thing about a car.

I worked for one of the largest marine discount businesses for about 15 years and they started cutting back and cutting back. They started hiring part time kids and were getting rid of all the old timers who knew their stuff. I would have a line at my counter waiting for me to get done with my customer so they could get someone who actually knew something about a boat, and the company actually had the nerve to say I was spending too much time with each customer. I had customers who would not come in if they didn't see my car in the parking lot. That is one reason this country is in so much financial trouble.

Listen to this one. I took my roadster to the local Advance Auto Parts a week or so ago and the guy who normally waits on me is pretty good, so he follows me outside to look at my car. After a while he says to me, "Let me ask you a question, Don, I see two round pedals and one shiny one, what are all those for?" :eek: I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't, so I explained to him it is a stick shift car. Geez, even Grandmoms know THAT !! :rolleyes:

Don

Worked for NAPA for almost 7 years. Most "parts guys" are not car guys, and certainly not outside the box thinkers, they just need a job. Trained to use the computer, they become drones, this part that car, 2 doors or 4 (like it makes a diff on a radiator cap!) I had all the old farmers, hot rodders, and custom builders coming to me for help soon after I started, angered my co-workers when I had a line of people standing in front of me 5 days a week, and asking for me on the weekends. They started complaining to manager, I was offered "a promotion" and spent the next 2 years driving a battery truck. eventually I was back on another counter as a parts manager for a remote parts store inside a large auto repair buisness. Never let me back in the main store again.

I think your right on the money with your analogy Don. This is one topic that really gets me riled up. So many "sales" people are in positions they should never be near, and then they will argue with you when you ask for some given part. If I wanted an argument, I could have just stayed home and poked my wife with a stick. I'm quitting before this turns into a rant, maybe I'll go kiss my wife instead......nah, she'll think I'm feeling guilty about something if I do that. Nuts...I'm going to the shop.

I've said before that we did this to ourselves, me included. In the old days stores were staffed by knowledgeable people who knew their trade and who could help you through any project. But we wanted cheap, so the WalMarts took over and the Mom and Pop stores fell by the wayside.

Now we have cheap, but it came at an expensive tradeoff. :(

Don

I feel lucky! We have plenty of parts places a few are decent, a couple are excellent.

AutoZones are mostly filled with computer zombies - the main store isn't bad..
NAPAs are good, expensive, but they ripped me 20$ once and I won't deal again.
O'Reillys stores have several gearheads that have a good clue.
Advance Auto - they used to get gearheads there too.

***Car Quest - Around here,these guys rock. They are old separately owned parts stores that franchised under the Car Quest name. They are expensive, but worth it. A few shelves and a BIG counter. The guys know what a book is and how to use it. You need a brake hose 2" longer than what's in your hand? - They pull out the books and help you figure it out! :)

We even have several junk yards that know there stuff and let you walk the yard. All newer stuff mostly, but sometimes you might find something 60's-70's in the corner.

Worst one for me is going to Autozone. I tell them I have an International and they ask me who makes that? Or the few that know ask me if its a cabover. Even had one guy tell me they didnt cary refrigerator parts. (Yes IHC made fridges). I only go to NAPA if I can help it these days

Another one that bugs me is the "associate" who has been to Autozone school and as soon as you walk in the door they are stuck to you like glue. "What are we working on today? Did you notice our sale on injector cleaners? How about some rags to go with that purchase?" :eek:

I feel like Toad in American Graffiti when that used car salesman was trying to sell him a car........."For God's sake, leave me alone !!!!!" :D

Don

I like when you tell them what spark plugs you want by giving them the plug number, and they ask what vehicle? What size engine? Power brakes? etc.....
Can't they just type in the plug number?????

one time I asked Advanced Auto if they had black high temp header paint.
(I already found one can on the shelf), but I needed two cans.
The "counter clerk" said no!
So I told him there is only one can on the shelf over there but I needed two cans. He then went to where all the spray paints are and found no high temp paint. I stood by and left him look stupid until I couldn't take it any more.
I said; If you look behind you where the header wrap is, you will see the can I saw.
He then told me it was special ordered and he could order it and I would have it in two days. I said no and left.

A couple days later I stopped at another "cloned" Advanced Auto in another town 15 miles away and they had four cans on the shelf next to the header wrap.

Don

Latest posts

Back