just curious 1930 radius rod question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev Tex Devlle

He's workin' 4 da Lord, in a '46 Ford!
just curious ! what is the tensile strength of a 82 year old radius rod , with the end cutoff and a bung welded into it, thats been setting outside for at least 50 of those years? lookin for a expert on this question,, or somewhere to find the expert answer maybe some charts ,, in comparability to other type of metal! whats the metal comp hardness carbon ratio and oxidation rate deterioration! and how safe it would be to weld to it and modify? what the long term effects will be welding on it and the stress factor that would cause breaking,, i know theres a degree toten expert out there with a answer on this! [P

I'm not a degree toting expert in the field of metalurgy, so I would suggest a trip to a lab for some testing. This would probably yield the results you are looking for. BTW, sounds like you're looking for a reason why something happened, or perhaps who to blame.

Dave.

That stuff is done everyday and it works fine. I would be more concerned on how rusted it was. I'd have them sonic checked, like they do cylinder walls to see how thin they might be.

Latest posts

Back