Just one peice of advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say start with something real cool, like a Ford. So when you realize you are way over your head and tired of it taking up space you can give it to me.:D
I used to be the king of left behind half baked projects that eventually overwhelmed me. I abandoned a half done 60 Caddy ragtop once because I was tired of dragging it around. There was several thousand $$$ in new stuff stacked inside.

Like flatbroke mentioned ALWAYS Safety first. Don't take shortcuts or the easy way out.

Plan ahead it's alright to sit/stand and stare at it for hours on end. (My wife thinks I'm nuts)!

My one peice of advice keep reading and rereading this thread and all the other great threads on this forum its an amazing place to learn thanks everybody

Casey

Some really good information has been thrown out here. Hopefully it has some words of wisdom and encouragement for someone looking to get into the hobby, or a reason to stay with a current project.

Think of your first build as practice before you build your dream. Maybe even think of it as the first of many 'practice builds'.

Get something that will take no more than 3 months to get on the road. After that, keep the down time for each new part of the build to 3 months. That way your less likely to become overwhelmed. In other words, don't do a complete tear down all at once - it'll stay that way, for years, sitting in the garage getting used as a shelf.

And realize, if you think it'll take 3 months, it will take 6. (If you think you can beat the system and plan for 6 months, it'll take 2 years :D)

Think of your first build as practice before you build your dream. Maybe even think of it as the first of many 'practice builds'.

Get something that will take no more than 3 months to get on the road. After that, keep the down time for each new part of the build to 3 months. That way your less likely to become overwhelmed. In other words, don't do a complete tear down all at once - it'll stay that way, for years, sitting in the garage getting used as a shelf.

And realize, if you think it'll take 3 months, it will take 6. (If you think you can beat the system and plan for 6 months, it'll take 2 years :D)

True story! It is hard finding time to work on it. In the beginnin gyou are really excited and you work on it a lot, then frustration sets in and you put it aside for a while. Or parts dont come on time, or they are the wrong ones. Or your planning was just off that much and you have to redo something.

Also keep your eyes and ears open for the good deals and jump on them before there gone. Know what you want and try to get as close to it as possible or you won't be happy in the end or give up.

I think I would add that we have to keep in mind this is our HOBBY, and working on it should be FUN, not work. Things are going to go wrong and you will get setbacks and maybe even have to scrap some part and start over, but don't get discouraged..........walk away for a day or week or month, then come back when it feels like fun again. You can't take this stuff too seriously. This isn't the car we need to have running to go to work Monday morning, so if it takes a little longer, so be it.

My Son Dan hasn't accepted this yet, if he makes a weld he isn't nuts about it ruins his whole day. Me, I put more filler on it and call it good.:D These things are just cars and are made to be driven, so you can't sweat the fact you have some little flaw that nobody but you really notices or cares about.

Don

new bee questions....getting the disease slowly

Found a 41' IHC, it runs and purrs like a kitten. Plan to get it and turn it into an odd rod or rat rod. The questions I have are endless, being a newbee. My first question is: Is the frame on a 41' ok to use, and or, can be generally used for, a rat rod without a lot of mod to the frame for the build?

RESEARCH.

Take the time to read what is readily available on the forum. If you don't find what you are looking for, then ask for help.

Hopefully, the research you did do will help you enough to be able to ask an intelligent question.

Newbies get bashed because it gets old seeing the same questions asked week after week, month after month, year after year.

Also, what you find while doing research may open your eyes/mind up to something that you may not have previously considered.

Educate yourself. It's not just a school thing.

Found a 41' IHC, it runs and purrs like a kitten. Plan to get it and turn it into an odd rod or rat rod. The questions I have are endless, being a newbee. My first question is: Is the frame on a 41' ok to use, and or, can be generally used for, a rat rod without a lot of mod to the frame for the build?

Yes, generally. Boxing a frame is always a good idea, but chances are, it is not a bad starting point. Limitations arise as far a stance and wheelbase.
It really depends on the type of rat, and look you are going for.

You all have raised a lot of great points. Our friend Don like always puts it out there the way it is. Thanks Don for all you wrote. I wish I had taken the "already started project" approach a couple of years ago. Great advise!!! Although I'm still enthused and have learned an amazing amount of patience over the past couple of years while I slowly gather parts. It'll be well worth the wait and I know that.

If I could pass on anything to someone wanting to build a project - it would be to work toward what you want with patience. To build something safe and fun you can't rush it. If you do rush into something chances are you won't like it when it's done, you won't be safe, and you'll really regret having spent all the time and effort you did put into it just to have a dangerous bomb of a project.

Listen to what you are told by the people who have paved the way before you. Guys with years of experience in doing this who fortunately and graciously devote part of their time - some do every day, to helping people like us learn. Ask questions - anything that pops into your head about hot rods or cars in general somebody here can help you or at least direct you to the answer.

Be careful in what you buy for your project. Something might seem cool or a great buy but it might not be critical for your build. Concentrate first on only what you need to get it safe and drivable. Don't waste money on things you might regret later. For me that's been some non-essential parts that I really didn't need and lost money on.

Keep your build and budget realistic. I've heard so many guys say, I'm all about the horsepower! I want a 454 Supercharged big block with dual four barrels, blah, blah, blah, - yeah right, for a first time build??? Not very realistic from a budgetary or practical standpoint if you ask me.

I know a guy who built a very cool 36 International rat truck who did that. He sold it just two months after he built it for nearly $2000 less than he had in it because it was just too much to handle and he hated it because it only got 5-6 miles to the gallon or something stupid like that. Just don't get in over your head before you even get the thing rolling like so many people do.

Last edited:
Great advise Thunder1.

I know personally I have learned alot from all you folks. I'm was green as they come when I started and still am in alot of areas but you folks have helped me make safe decisions and saved me some money also.

The "SEARCH" section here is full of good ideas and answers to tons of questions so I too advise all new people to use it to their own advantage.

Enjoy your build but most of all build it safe. Its not only for your own good but for everyone else on the highway with you.

Larry

..For those just getting started it is appropriate to make quick mention of the seldom discussed dark side of the hobby. We here at RRR don't participate in it any in way but of course the temptation will present itself from time to time. It is just an aspect of the lifestyle that seems to accompany this hobby.
..You might be approached by a smooth talking fellow with gold chains or even a chick with bells on her toes but the old timers here will all tell you same thing. Don't mess around with magic carpets.
295174-1.gif

Latest posts

Back