just some fun pix

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What model planes are those? They look like a Me109 and with the right markings. I've never seen the engine in one before but those look a lot like an Allison.

I think you're right about the Me 109 part. The engine should be a Daimler-Benz DB 605. It's also a V-12, 1455 horsepower. The thing that has me confused is, the DB 605 was an inverted engine. The crankshaft and oil pan (not really an oil pan) was at the top of the engine, and the pistons and valve covers were at the bottom. That means that these engines in these pictures, are mounted upside down. Or, of course, they must be a different airplane.

This is what an Me 109 should look like:
bilde

So, I think I have it figured out. The Hispano Aviación HA-1112 was a Spanish built licensed version of the Me 109. They used a 1300 horsepower Hispano-Suiza 12Z engine, which was upright like a normal engine, and had 4 valves per cylinder and overhead cams. Plus, it had a supercharger.

They only flew a couple times before the end of the war. Later, in 1954, they modified the design to a HA-1112-M1L, which used the 1600 horsepower Rolls Royce Merlin. They remained in service until 1965.

After comparing the pictures to the Merlin engine, I can see that's what they are.

As a side note: The P-51D used a Merlin 1650 engine with 1490 horsepower, built by Packard under license. The original Allison was a bit of a dog with 1100 horsepower. Packard started building Merlin engines for the British in 1940.

I think you're right about the Me 109 part. The engine should be a Daimler-Benz DB 605. It's also a V-12, 1455 horsepower. The thing that has me confused is, the DB 605 was an inverted engine. The crankshaft and oil pan (not really an oil pan) was at the top of the engine, and the pistons and valve covers were at the bottom. That means that these engines in these pictures, are mounted upside down. Or, of course, they must be a different airplane.

This is what an Me 109 should look like:
bilde

There I fixed it.lol
attachment.php

Attachments

• bilde.jpg
    bilde.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 46
I've seen wiring pictures like that before, from India, the locals just shinny up there and hook up their own cable and phone lines.

so many people do it and don't have the money to pay, so the companies have given up disconnecting them and just shut the service down for whole city blocks at a time.

Latest posts

Back