Keep on truckin!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper tom

Way too young to be a hippy!
novasand52007.jpg

Well ,been driven the 52 for going on 4 weeksnow as a daily driver
and been haven a blast !
Man! i for got how much fun it was to have an old hot rod to drive every day.
Even used the tow hitch on back and it worked ok too!
Its so nice to not have to worry about hauling some thing and scatching the paint all up,[i painted the inside with a brush so it wouldnt rust till i got round to fixin it right]if it gits scratched all i gotta do is grab the brush and tuch it up ,not a problem.
It brings back a lote of memories of when i used to work on it when i was a teen ,and when my dad used to show it at the local shows[7 first place trophys at these little local shows back then ]it was always such a big deal to him to win ,i never really understood and may never understand .But it was still fun and i'll allways have them memories till i die.
Hope to make some good memoreies whith my son this year with the truck ,i told him the truck will be his when he gets his licens.
he just dont seem to care about it as much as i did at his age[to many dumb vidial games i guess] .
any ways hope you guys get some drivin time in on yours this year too ,its so much fun to just drive em in stead of constantly working on them!!!!!

Good story and cool truck Chopper Tom. The personal memories make it all the better. In time, I hope your son learns to appreciate the family history with the truck takes an interest in it as such. I know how you feel though, my oldest son recently got his temp. drivers license and I thought that he would be excited about getting into a hot rod. He doesn't seem that interested in it. He's more interested in the late model stuff. I was hoping that he would want to work on a hot rod project with me that he could learn on and have for his own when finished, but chances look pretty slim for that at this point.

Maybe these kids will come around.

i think its possibly my own foult for him not interested in them ,i have been taking him to shows sence he was born and probably over exsposed him to it .
I hardly ever seen a rod or a chopper when i was groing up so it was really special to me when i did .so i figure i burnt him out on them early on ,or he may just not be a hot rodder [i know ,i know!] i have heard that there are actually people out there who do not like hot rods [i have yet to meat up with such people but ,one can only assume it to be true ,after all some poeple are serious about that UFO stuff too ??]
But it's just my luck to have a son who is'nt interested in them ? go figure !

My old man raised my in carshows and garages... most likely the reason i have two vintage cars and a vintage motorcycle. Same with trains, I went to the Strasburg RR at age 1 and now i have two train layouts. So I guess Im saying it depends on how you make the impression.

Much Luck
Preston

Cool story and cool truck Tom. Your son will probably come around when he gets a little older, if not you can always sell the truck to me :) Haha anyways I must admit I was into the imports when I was younger too but have since seen the light.

My dad was a green peacer and thought we all should use public transit how I got into old cars is beyond me. MY oldest son 16 is a gamer with little intrest in old cars as well. But my youngest son 13 is alot like me started with toy cars now hes into kustom bicycles (low riders and choppers). He is always with me going to junk yards and car shows.

There is hope for your Son. My Son Dan was into cars, but not hot rods. He liked Cal Look VW's and had one of those, then he got into bagged S10 pickups and had a bunch of those. For some reason hot rods didn't appeal to him, even though I let him drive my '27 fairly often. Then, for some reason, about 4 years ago he got bitten by the bug and started to build his '29. Now he is hardcore hot rod through and through.

I like your truck, I have seen these done every way from bone stock to way out custom, and every one looked great. One of the prettiest designs ever IMO. I agree about having something like this to drive daily. I used my '27 almost daily for 7 years and LOVED driving to work in it. Even the fancy BMW's and stuff somehow didn't seem so cool when I would pull up next to them at a light.

Don

thanks for the insight guys !The truth is that i dont mind as much what he dose as long as he stays strait and out of truoble and hopefully goes to colledge but i''m not going to push him into anything except school.
i really just about drove my mom and dad crazy with this hot rod stuff when i was growing up ,chopped my only ride one week end [i dont know what i was thinkin,thought it would only take that long ,i didnt even know how to weld back then] and didnt get it back on the road for 6 mounths [mom had to take me to work evry day and was ready to kill me by the time the truck was done].me and dad both liked old trucks but never seen eye to eye on them ,and still dont? but i still had some great memories!
it would be great if he was into cars [and he still may be latter on] but hes my only son and as long as hes happy with what ever he does ,i'll try to be understanding.[but i will keep tempting him with the 52!ha haha!]

Maybe you should just take him out in the boonies and let him learn how to spin some donuts with the old truck, that's way more fun than looking at show cars that really aren't cars at all but some weird form of static art.

Don't give up on the kid...
My son has always thought the car show cars were cool in thier finished state but was not too interested in what I did in the shop. That is until I put a sawzall and welder in his hand. Now he is all over it. He cut the top off our current project. Here is a pic of him welding the finished edges on a VW Bug roadster we are building. He is 9. It is just cool to have him out there with me.
weldingbryce023.jpg

weldingbryce026.jpg

Hope I didn't get too far off the theme of your thread... sorry if I did. Got all sappy when we started talkin' about our boys and our builds.

You've said it very well, as long as he keeps his nose clean and does the right things, that is what really matters. Being hot rodders we want our Sons and Daughters to share our interests, but the fact is, they are individuals and might like something else instead. That is fine.

I know sports jocks who are upset because their Sons don't like sports, but that is kind of unrealistic to assume they will like the same things just because of being your Kid. We all have the right to be interested in our own hobbies and passions.

Sometimes I wonder if I did my Sons any favors by turning them on to this hobby. All of our money and time is spent on it, not to mention the burns, cuts, scrapes, and dirty fingernails. :D I keep threatening to return to fishing. :eek:

Don

Yea man ,now fishing is something we definatly agree on!!!he loves to go fisahing .
I been trying to get him into scate bording and he seems to be into it !ASt least it gets him outy of the house but i sure cant do it like i used to could hurts a lote worse now ,especialy the next day!

Latest posts

Back