keg tank

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom cabby

does anyone have knowledge of how to make an operational keg gas tank? i couldnt find anything under the search so i couldnt tell if this has been addressed already.

It shouldn't be hard at all. I have a plastic fuel cell in my 32, I got my fittings from Speedway Motors. Depending on the application, you would drill holes in the "bottom" of the tank for the fuel outlet and use the fittings like Speedway sells. Many of the kegs are stainless steel now. For the filler neck, you can buy those as well and bolt them on. Most kegs now are stainless which makes them easier to weld on if you need to. Bottom line is drill holes and insert fittings.:D

If you have a local beer distributor sometimes they will sell you a keg, that way you can pick out a mint one rather than an old scratched and dented keg. Also, different brands of beer have different shaped kegs, so you can pick out one with a cool shape.

I had one on the back of a '32 roadster pickup back in about 1970, and as I remember I had a local weld shop add the bungs and filler neck. Can't remember what components I used though.

Don

I have a really old Altes keg. I was told it is a stainless/aluminum mix. Would that pose any welding problems? It has a wood or cork bung already where I can rivet on a filler but I'd still have to weld on fuel outlet fitting.

Attachments

• DSCF0090.JPG
    DSCF0090.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 27
Easy to do, but one word of advise. I would place the feed line at the top of the tank. If fed from the bottom, it will gravity the fuel pump. This happened on my 32' 3 window. One of the floats in my tri-power stuck open at a car show, when I parked. Unbeknowst to me, the cylinders were filling with gas. When I tried to start the car, it hydro-locked. Fortunately, the cylinders were full and locked the motor without bending a rod.

we have 2 local distributors in town and i called them both and they told me that they have to send them back to their providers regardless if they are damaged or not. and i have been looking on ebay a few times and they arent as common as i thought they would be to pick up.

Well, the other way to get one is to pick up one loaded with beer, drink the beer and never return the keg. Not sure what the deposit is, but it can't be that much. It's a good excuse to throw a party too. :D:D:D:D

Don

Well, the other way to get one is to pick up one loaded with beer, drink the beer and never return the keg. Not sure what the deposit is, but it can't be that much. It's a good excuse to throw a party too.

Don

I was thinking that too:D:D BUT remember the keg is still the distributor's property, you didn't actually buy it, more like rent. I have found them at swap meets, also check the scrap yard. The last one I had was already a gas tank but the large size. I didn't use it and ended up giving it away.

being that i dont drink beer, im hoping to run across one here soon. if i cant make it functional i still would strap it down in the bed of my truck with some old leather straps just for the look of it.

go to your local drinking hole, often there are old kegs that never got picked up after the peticular line was dropped off there draught list.
i run a pub here in victoria, happens all the time. i have plenty that i get rid of every year.
you can also try some of the local small craft type brewery's. they are much easier to deal with than the big ones.
if ya were closer i would hook ya up.
J

Kegs on eBay

Yeah, I've seen beer kegs on eBay every so often. The last one I kept an eye on went for around $60.00 and looked to be in pretty good condition.

I also would like to know the best way to turn one into a gas tank.

I have a really old Altes keg. I was told it is a stainless/aluminum mix. Would that pose any welding problems? It has a wood or cork bung already where I can rivet on a filler but I'd still have to weld on fuel outlet fitting.

Never heard of a stainless / aluminum mix, it must be one or the other.

Latest posts

Back