Kids shows in the 50's.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

On another forum someone brought up the subject of locally produced kids shows in the 50's, and it reminded me of one we had in Pittsburgh, Pa. It was called "Captain Video" and everyday we would rush home from school to watch it, but looking back now, it was REALLY hokey !! :eek:

It just points out how hungry we were for entertainment in the early days of TV and how simple those times were. Today we have sophisticated shows like Honey BooBoo, Housewives of LA, and all those Redneck moonshine shows. We have come SO far ! :rolleyes::D:D

Here is a YouTube clip of Captain Video, gotta love space men in suits and ties ! [cl[cl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSeMlSv3E0

What local shows did you guys have in your town ?

Don

jp

here we had J P Patches who lived at the city dump & a guy in drag that was his "girlfriend" Gertrude in the morning and Brakeman Bill & the hand puppet Crazy Donkey in the afternoon.

Later :cool:

And the kid that peed in the pumpkin at the Howdy Doody Halloween show, that was when it was still a live show and taped as it was done. I think it can be found on you tube still.

Soupy Sales and Fang
They had a stripper just of camera on one show, Soupy was impressed to say the least. There is a you tube clip of this one for sure.

Friendly Giant and Rusty the Rooster

In the Denver area we had Blinky the Clown.

Attachments

• BlinkyClownWeb*304.jpg
    BlinkyClownWeb*304.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 2
I don't remember any local shows. But we watched Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room and Sky King and Lassie plus all the cartoons.
Ours were the same :)
Mirror mirror tell me today has all my friends had fun at play ? I see Don and choppin and sniper and earthman and sawsall and sneakysnake and bob w and solz and
1 min in on this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0aFlgq48AU
Plus I do remember watching Howdy Doody [cl Just not on a 6" screen :confused:
Children's hour with Aunt Norma who later became a senator for Missouri

Cas Walker

For giggles and grins, youtube Cas Walker Message to customers. I watched him every morning while waiting on the school bus. It's where Dolly Parton and others got their start. There's about 3 or 4 clips. I felt so sorry for the rock band and it was live !!!!

For giggles and grins, youtube Cas Walker Message to customers. I watched him every morning while waiting on the school bus. It's where Dolly Parton and others got their start. There's about 3 or 4 clips. I felt so sorry for the rock band and it was live !!!!

"We've been playin fer 18 years."

"Well damn it you should be ready to play!"

I couldn't help but laugh, that was funny. The old dude just says whats on his mind. Politically correct....who needs it.[cl

Latest posts

Back