Kinda excited

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6 Skullz

Well, I've seen this car off in the trees a couple of miles from my house for a couple of years now. About a month ago I pulled in and tried to get a better look but the area I live in is one of "if you don't live here or weren't invited you don't need to be here". I respect that because that's how we are on my road. Monday I decided to drive down the little road near the car to look for a house or some body to ask about the car. Found an old man and he was kind enough to give me a lead on who might know who's car it is. Come to find out it belongs to the cousin of a man I know. He gave me his cousins # in new mexico so I called. The guy was real nice but if he's anything like his cousin I wont get far. He did ask what I was willing to offer and I declined to say asking him to come up with a number and there would be no hard feelings if it was out of my reach. He said he thought it was a 38 ford coupe but its between a 42 and 47/48 ford coupe. Anyway I googled images for that and only saw a couple that I really liked but if I do end up with it what ideas do you guys have? Seen any done up cool? Thx

Make a gasser out of it :D Havnt seen many rats made from 40s up that were really cool looking i'm sure there are some out there .. I just havn't seen many .

gilayala2527s42fordcopy.jpg

Got some pics

Got the ok from the guy to snap some pics. He told me to make an offer but I want him to give the price. Of the 15 or so cars I did get I passed on 10 times that many so there would be no hard feelings if its out my range. It needs quite a bit of work but I'd like to bring it back to life.

Attachments

• coupe2.JPG
    coupe2.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 67
  • coupe3.JPG
    coupe3.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 62
  • coupe4.JPG
    coupe4.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 63
  • coupe5.JPG
    coupe5.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 60
  • coupe1.JPG
    coupe1.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 64
looks

don't look to bad in the pics, if it need floors and such, there are a lot of choices. if ya can't afford the repop parts there is the make it outta what ya have method. l have used roofs, floors and sheet metal off other cars and a horse trailer that we parted out.[;)

if the price is fair, grab it [cl

later :cool:

One of the questions that you should be asking yourself, [that I learned the hard way] is, what kind of paperwork comes with the car to help you get it on the road legally, eventually. Some more questions are "do you like the car"?; "Is it close to home so it'll be easy to get home?" and "Are there parts available to rebuild this car? If you have a positive response to most of these questions, then you have an answer coming into view.

Well, I've never really thought about it but all of the cars I have purchased were simply opportunistic buys. I don't have a specific type of car I look for just one that wont take a fortune to put together. The car is about 2 miles down the road and in my county it doesn't take much to get a car legal paperwork wise. I haven't seen a pic on google images of this car that knocked my socks off but none of my other cars really did that. I liked them but haven't found a life time keeper yet.

48 Ford I did way back in the early 70s

Attachments

• merc and coupe 002.jpg
    merc and coupe 002.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 32
  • merc and coupe 003.jpg
    merc and coupe 003.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 30
  • merc and coupe 006.jpg
    merc and coupe 006.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 34
46 Ford Coupe. Can't tell if it was a 6 or a 8 originally, the hood emblem will tell you. Good cars to build, they look great with fat tires and lowered a bit. Parts are easy to come by, too, lots of stuff reproduced for them.

Like was said, getting it legal will be the biggest challenge. We have it lucky here, no titles required on anything over 35 years old, so it wouldn't be a problem here.

Heck, offer him $50 or $100. You never know, he might take it. If not, he can give you a price to start dickering on with him.

Hi Skullz, Yes, you have the rare short door coupe. The whole roof is shorter on these cars and the trunk is longer so the proportions are quite a bit nicer than the long door ones. Also, you won't find many of these on Google because there aren't many, but they look a way nicer. Grab that car.

The thing is that he probably has no idea what it's worth. You could possible steal it from him for $100 but that wouldn't be fair to him as fair value is likely a lot more. Being that you're the car guy in the deal, come up with a reasonable number that is a bit to your advantage and see if he bites.

well its mine now, I'll pick it up this weekend. Looked inside and the heads to the original ford flat head are in it as well as the tranny and most of the stainless. The seat is in it although its just the frame and springs so that's easy to get redone. floor pans are solid and all the window frames? inserts whatever they are called are there. Looking forward to getting it home cleaning it out and start playing.

Excellent score! I've always loved the proportions of the '46-'47 Fords. From the pics the body looks to be in pretty good shape. Good floors, trim pieces, looks like you got a winner! Earthman's pic has just the right stance. Clip the front, late model rear, small block Ford/C4 auto and you're gonna have an awesome cruiser! More pics, please!

Window frames are called garnish moldings, Have no idea why.[S Love the old ford coupes, had a 46 business coupe 40 years ago. Will be following your build.

My brother just traded his 72 california el camino and some cash for a real hotrod
I havn't gotten a ride yet

1940 gregs ford.jpg

Got her picked up yesterday evening. Probably the easiest pick up of a project I've had yet. Started cleaning her out today but Mommas to do list took up most of the day so tomorrow I'll post some close up pics and start asking questions I'm sure. I'm pretty happy so far, it'll take some work but It's the oldest car I have purchased so far and its a 2 door coupe in very salvageable condition so cool for me!

Attachments

• day11.JPG
    day11.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 22
  • day12.JPG
    day12.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 19
  • day13.JPG
    day13.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back