King Pins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papamike

Can someone tell me the correct way to install the kingpin draw keys/cross bolts. Ive got a new lucky 7 I beam axle and they seem awful tight, :confused:

king pins

make sure you have the pin lined up, they will be tight, you should just have enough sticking thru to get the lock washer and nut on, I use a hammer and give them a light tap, then tighten and tap, tighten and tap. They fit very snug, and you have to tap them out with a hammer, do not over tighten them they will break off at the base of the threads and then you got a problem getting them out, after you drive it a few miles just check the nut and make sure it stayed tight, I check mine every couple of months.

They have to be turned so the little rib on them is facing the kingpin and you have to have the notch in the kingpin visible through the hole before you slide it in.

I have had to dress up the diameter of those pins with a grinder, just removing a tad bit of diameter and then keep trying it till it goes about 3/4 of the way in with a light tap, and then the rest of the way can be torqued down with the nut. Sometimes you have to remove it a few times, taking just a bit more off, until it slides in most of the way.

Don

The axle is chrome should i ream out the hole or is it better just to grind the pin? Im afraid if i try to ream it out i might chip the chrome.

pin

The chrome is whats making it tight. Grind the pin, not the chrome, you are right it may not chip now but down the road it would start to peel.

Yes, do not grind the chrome ! In fact, use some grease or antiseize when installing the pin so it will come back out some day and not chip the chrome as easily when you intall it this time.

Don

If the pin goes through enough to get the lock washer and nut on it, just tighten it. There is no need for it to go through any particular amount. If the thread is 3/8, torque to 35 ft. lbs.

The pin merely prevents the kingpin from rotating and also falling out the bottom if there is no head on it. Not much load on it.

You can put a Sharpie mark on the top of the kingpin to check if it is rotating.

Some aftermarket tube axle use a set screw for this purpose which is substantially less positive than the oem-type pin but works nevertheless.

The main reason for wanting to draw it down almost level is cosmetics. The pin just looks bad if it is sticking way out. Functionally it is fine as long as it is jamming the kingpin in it's bore.

Don

Thanks guys i will work on it when i get off work. But tomorrow good guys in Ft. Worth

That is what it takes, just take a bit off and try it, then take a little more off and try it again. I find that the aftermarket pins vary a bit in dimensions, not quite as precise as the original Ford parts. You just have to massage them a little bit to get them to work though.

Don

Latest posts

Back