Know this car?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdubya

Anyone know this car, or have more pics of it? It's very similiar to my build.

Attachments

• 2008-Detroit-Autorama.jpg
    2008-Detroit-Autorama.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 278
Don't really know alot about it, but, I've seen it in the basement at the Detroit Autorama the last two years...it has a homemade 2x3 frame, pinched way in at the front with a suicide perch & dropped axle, narrowed 9" Ford rear, and a cut-down sedan body...

Ya cosmic I couldn't tell if it was narrowed in the rear or not. The deck lid looks identical to mine. But, if it's not that rearend has to be 6 feet wide. I still like it. What year is yours?

Ya cosmic I couldn't tell if it was narrowed in the rear or not. The deck lid looks identical to mine. But, if it's not that rearend has to be 6 feet wide. I still like it. What year is yours?

How wide is your body? You can get a 9" pretty darn wide. Doesn't appear to be narrowed in the rear.

I love it!
sure wish I had thought about narrowing mine.

Actually I think the differences your seeing between your car and this other one is a bit of an opptical illusion. It's not so much that he has a wider axel or has narrowed the body, but rather he has his body severly channelled down over the frame and a set of very deeply reversed rims. I think you will find that if you Z your frame and channel the body down over the frame you will end up with the same look.

Most times cars that are done like the one pictured come off looking goofy, but this one really does look cool. Very creative, I like it. :)

Don

Maybe a 77-86 Ford E-150 van. They are 69 1/4 inches wide.

Most times cars that are done like the one pictured come off looking goofy, but this one really does look cool. Very creative, I like it. :)

Don

Don, I agree...the car being asked about is still a little, "off", but something about it appeals to me...I thought I had some more pics of it from Autorama, some front and side shots, but I can't find them right now, I'll keep looking...

...I liked it enough to take pics of it...

...don't believe it's been narrowed, that's an original width deck lid and rear window section...

Actually I think the differences your seeing between your car and this other one is a bit of an opptical illusion. It's not so much that he has a wider axel or has narrowed the body, but rather he has his body severly channelled down over the frame and a set of very deeply reversed rims. I think you will find that if you Z your frame and channel the body down over the frame you will end up with the same look.

Again, you just need bigger tires:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC5cY8vnTNg&feature=related

The pic I posted is before I channeled the body over the stock frame 7" in the front and 5"s in the rear, I still need to change the rear sysp to drop it about another 3"s. I would have loved to Z the frame or build a complete new one but this is an extreame budget build I need to have it drive'n safely for under 5k and sofar I am where I need to be, this was a 4 door sedan to start with.
I also agree the car in post 1 probly wasn't narrowed after looking at it a bit more and I wish I could aford that size wheel & tire combo.
I will try to get some after channel shots posted.
You can see that the channel helped but it needs to go down more, and how I had to widen the cowel and front of the roof, in hind sight it would have been easier to narrow the frame.
Sorry about the thread hijack:rolleyes:

Attachments

• S6301389 006.jpg
    S6301389 006.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 31
  • S6301390 007.jpg
    S6301390 007.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 30
  • S6301387 004.jpg
    S6301387 004.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 46
  • S6301386 003.jpg
    S6301386 003.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 37
Cosmic - I would try moving the body forward a foot - or the rear axle back a foot. Just to see what it looked like.

Cosmic - I would try moving the body forward a foot - or the rear axle back a foot. Just to see what it looked like.

Thats not a bad idea,
Move the body only about 4 to 6"s forward and that would also give me more room inside (kinda cramped in there) I also plan on finishing out the radius of the wheel well opening to the rear and bringing the body over that ugly opening rear of the tire use'n part of the back half of the orig rear fenders, that should clean it up alot but I will try the body move, thanks for the idea[cl

No prob on the hijack Cosmic. I'm liken your build. Very similiar to my 37. I started with a 4 door sedan also. Definatly a lot of car out behind the tires on these ones. I planned on running rear fenders and radizing them around the tires. Until I saw the car in this thread done fenderless. Thinking, thinking.

Latest posts

Back