ladder bars, four link, hairpins?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busman

Need some help looking for a cheaper alternative to locate my rear axle. hairpins, 4 link, ladder bars ect.. that I have found run $250 -$350 +. Has anyone made their own set up or have any suggestions on cheaper ideas? Just dont want to spend that much. I have seen rectangular tubing used but read somewhere that this was a no no. Any suggestions welcome or do I just need to bite the bullet and order a kit?

i built my 4 link out of Kia Sportage rear suspension. i paid $55 for seven bars. the bars are 24" long. my brother is using adjustable links from Tractor Supply, short bars (18-22" long) are $22 and the longer bars are $26-30. 4 of those bad boys and you've got a 4 link kit for $100 +/-. buy some metal for your brackets = $35 +/-. Then the bolts - $25 +/-. Now you have a 4 link kit for $160 that is fully adjustable. and if you dont think the Category 1 is strong enough, you can buy up to a categeroy 3.
here is a link to the bars at TSC http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...10551_10001_33789_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Hairpins work the same as parallel ladder bars.

I will second the junk yard 4 link suggestion.
Look at the triangulated 4 links that GM used.

Personal preference,I like the lower arms longer than the top.

---

Look at the way the factories do their suspension.
The majority of them will work very well.

Notice none of the factory suspensions use parallel ladder bars.
Ever.

RX7s have some good links.
I used a tierod from a combine, had a couple heims from a swap and got 2 more from speedway. made my own brackets for a triangulated system.
I think you could use drag links from Astro vans, get the tapered tabs from a diertrack supply.

If you don't need the adjustability of a 4 link , using leaf springs cut in half will locate your rearend . then use a set of rear coilovers from a motorcycle. I' ve used this setup in a couple of rats works pretty good and is cheap!!

cheap 4 link

hey, i made these for the rear of my rat bars from speedway 11.00 each, ends from speedway 10.95 each, hardened bolts lock nuts and washers 14.00 hardware store, metal plate (to cut into brackets on frame and axle 31.00) i have also went the junkyard route a time or two. i wanted full adjustment for air ride on this one though. hope this helps, heres a pic.

Attachments

• DSCF0177.jpg
    DSCF0177.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 61
i used trailing arms of the rear of a dodge caravan, it has , spring seats for coils springs, just had the turn the mount on the mounted end upside down for the arms to have enuff upward movement travel.. seems to give me about 5 inches of travel,, aint put it on the road yet ,, will let ya know how it works:cool:

Latest posts

Back