Last Night I Picked Up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

51Cards

A Business Partner.
The only thing that's kept me from Building is CASH. Now I got some. Not Jessie James type Cash, but the Get started kind. I build with his cash. He gets his cash off the top and 50/50 the rest.
Neither of us is much interested in millions in profit just keeping busy and staying in the garage instead of trouble and maybe, just maybe, getting ourselves into our own rides in the process!
We decided this will be a PRIVATE practice where we'll build 1 car at a time and NOT be open to the public, as I don't want to build other peoples visions but my own, and the public in general suck.
So I'll be in the market for Bargins and I mean bargin basement bargins,ONE it's not my money and TWO, that's the way I like to build. Being able to say I Built this for Under such and such and hearing others scream "NO WAY!" is part of the fun for me.

Last edited:
So what your saying is..... you want to buy your raw material from us for dirt, put it together as you see fit, and then sell it to someone else for gold.

Yeah, good luck with that.

NOPE

So what your saying is..... you want to buy your raw material from us for dirt, put it together as you see fit, and then sell it to someone else for gold.

Yeah, good luck with that.

You got that wrong in a big way. First I don't even know WHAT I'll be building yet first one looks to be a 68 Mercury Cyclone I doubt theres much here that will fit:DSecond I won't be seeking anything other that advice and sources and IF someone offers to sell me something I guess I'll just have to turn it down so you don't feel abused.

SECONDLY the reason I build is for MY enjoyment I don't sell for GOLD as uyou say because I build entry level rods to sell to others interested in the hobby but can't afford the HIGH$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that most think their stuff is worth I KNOW what it's worth caus e I KNOW what I can build it for!

Be careful saying that you only have a little tied up in it, because it makes it hard to get what you want out of it later. Keep it on the DL, Good luck.

Be careful saying that you only have a little tied up in it, because it makes it hard to get what you want out of it later. Keep it on the DL, Good luck.

The money really isn't the factor as long as he gets his money back, neither one of will care if we make enough for a cup of coffee afterwords. We both have DAMN GOOD jobs. THIS WILL NOT be a business, it is a passion as soon as it becomes WORK we'll stop. My ADVANTAGE here is being able to build and not take food out of the babies mouth. and thats really the point.

I Kinda Forget

Most folks don't know me HERE. There are a few, and I'm sure if asked, they'll tell you I live my life very much aware of Karma.Do unto others as you have Others do you. I get a lot of parts FREE I also don't charge my friends for parts I'm not using and for not yet friends the cost is usually minimal. example: I just sold the complete nose (both fenders,core support,hood,and bumper) all unmolested, off an S-10 blazer for $50.00 only because I didn't know the guy as he bought it off Craigs list. People who do this for profit and cause inflated prices like some on TV drive me nuts and make building all the more difficult. IF your a friend and I don't need it it's yours. If your not yet a friend maybe we can fix that in time. Ask those who DO know me.

I don't have any problem with you doing what you love and making a buck at it. That's how I make my living as well. Though most of what I do is for customers. It's just how you worded your first post that set me back.

Good luck on your venture.

hey congrats, thats everyones dream a backer that will give enough to keep your vision going wish i had one. it sure would make some of my ideas, (and voices) get the hell out of my head! some times jumping from car to car keeps ya sain but other times id like to have the flow to keep at one long enough to not forget some of the crazy stuff i was planning on doing to each one. like i said good luck and congrats. dp1

I really wish you well. My Sons and I have talked about turning out one car occasionally to help defray some of the rent on our shop, but doing the math in our heads we would be better off getting a part time job at 7-11 for minimum wage because we would have so many hours tied up in building a car that we would MAYBE make $ 1 an hour when done. The other thing is that few people get out of a car what they have tied up in it. There are exceptions, of course, but it has never been our luck to turn a profit or break even.

The other problem is that when you work at it for money it sometimes takes the fun out of it when you do it on your own car. When I worked at the body shop I didn't want to see another car at the end of the day, even my own projects. I now work at a Marina, and I wouldn't own another boat if you gave it to me. Hobbies and business are tough to juggle.

Keep us posted, and please keep detailed records of time and materials so you can see how your truly fare at the end of the build.:):)

Don

Good luck!

Cards,
Good luck with your venture. Lots of folks would like to make a living from their hobby & there's nothin' wrong with that! Besides... so many people can't build a car themselves or don't have time but would love to be involved in the hobby... there's room for everyone Most of all... be sure to have fun while u're at it!!!

BoB

Thanks Don and Dogpatch Like I said in the middle somewhere, Time is free I don't charge myself because I couldn't pay for that much entertainment, and I build on the Cheap. I build for ME (I can't deal with Customers) then I'll sell these . I may have used the wrong term in the "Business Partner" more like a Fianancer I reckon, anyway it doesn't have to come out of my pocket Though I'll watch costs as if it did.
Roddguy, More power to ya man I could not tolerate a customer telling me how to build, it would drive me crazy, well make me crazier IF that were at all possible. Folks tell me reality sucks. I wouldn't know. :)

good luck cards:cool:, i work in the oilfield on 3 weeks off 3 weeks so ive got the time and a little change to do a certain part of a proj every time home, i build what i like i do try to find something for not much of a buy in make it my driver-kustom-hotrod if someone offers the right $$$$ for it i might sell it but i dont have to and thats really the best part, if ive got 2 or 3 and somebody like sone good enough and i believe they wont take credit for something they didnt do a deal might be made, but otherwise like you i dont have to sell and i can be happy when im home doing something i dont have to do and be creative, again congrats and good luck with your fun time:cool::cool:

:cool: rock on man,, if i had the chance to do that i would,, i have had two bike shops and two car shops ,, closed them both because i got tired of people telling me their dreams they wanted me to build, when my dreams sat on the back burner,, i have never been the pureist type builder, and a custom comes from my head , not others,, if ya know what i mean,, if i had the duckies, thats would be what i would do to,, its not about the money its about the build,, i have told myself i would never build for the public again,, i build for me, and either you like it or ya dont, what matters is ,, i like doing it , and thats good enuff for me,, dont need anyone approval, or dirrection,, well maybe some suggestions,, but in the end ,, i did it my way,, ,, so like i said rock on!!!!:cool:, and if nobody likes it, well who cares?:rolleyes:

:cool: rock on man,, if i had the chance to do that i would,, i have had two bike shops and two car shops ,, closed them both because i got tired of people telling me their dreams they wanted me to build, when my dreams sat on the back burner,, i have never been the pureist type builder, and a custom comes from my head , not others,, if ya know what i mean,, if i had the duckies, thats would be what i would do to,, its not about the money its about the build,, i have told myself i would never build for the public again,, i build for me, and either you like it or ya dont, what matters is ,, i like doing it , and thats good enuff for me,, dont need anyone approval, or dirrection,, well maybe some suggestions,, but in the end ,, i did it my way,, ,, so like i said rock on!!!!:cool:, and if nobody likes it, well who cares?:rolleyes:

Ahhhhhhhhhh! Now see a man who get's it. Refreshing.

good luck cards:cool:, i work in the oilfield on 3 weeks off 3 weeks so ive got the time and a little change to do a certain part of a proj every time home, i build what i like i do try to find something for not much of a buy in make it my driver-kustom-hotrod if someone offers the right $$$$ for it i might sell it but i dont have to and thats really the best part, if ive got 2 or 3 and somebody like sone good enough and i believe they wont take credit for something they didnt do a deal might be made, but otherwise like you i dont have to sell and i can be happy when im home doing something i dont have to do and be creative, again congrats and good luck with your fun time:cool::cool:

If you and I ever do any business together feel free to weld in just below the rear window BUILT BY TWIN 13 KUSTOMS I'd be proud to show it off.

Latest posts

Back