lawn mower gokart

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy

i was thinking of taking my grandpas old ridin lawn mower and using the engine,brakes, steering wheel/box etc. to make a go kart for 2 people. some tips for putting it on a frame would be helpful.thnx

riding lawn mower engines are not the best choice for a go cart. you need a side shaft engine from something like a rotor tiller and then a centrifugal clutch that fits the shaft on the engine to couple to your rear axle.

i would also recommend buying your steering parts from one of the many online go cart type sites as riding mower steering is sloppy and not safe IMO at the speeds a go cart will do.

I always thought of doing that. No reason a vertical shaft wouldn't work. I think using the tranny and a belt with idler on a clutch pedal or even one of those "hydro" rear ends Use some taller tires for more speed.

You can make it work if thats all you got. I built and drivin some junk but thats the fun in it. A bunch of 12 yr olds building a go cart. Made one out of wood once. The only thing is Be sure you have the correct gas cap. A cart gas cap has a leak proof vent just in case you dump it over. Have fun

We raced riders for awhile and mine ran about 45mph...change the pullies around,free up the exhaust,and wire up a pull for the governer.......throws some awsome flames out of the exhaust too!

We built and raced Jr Dragsters for quite a while. It is amazing how much power you can get from a 1 cyl motor. The little purple dragster ran a best of 8.0 at 80 mph, in the 1/8 and that was 10 years ago. Not to bad for a 14 year old girl. So how fast is that new Mustang?
funnycar.jpg

We built and raced Jr Dragsters for quite a while. It is amazing how much power you can get from a 1 cyl motor. The little purple dragster ran a best of 8.0 at 80 mph, in the 1/8 and that was 10 years ago. Not to bad for a 14 year old girl. So how fast is that new Mustang?
funnycar.jpg

Reminds me of my buddy with a 5.0 fox body getting stomped by a 10 year old at the track!lmao.......good times!

always wanted to build a cart from a mower, too...[;) wanted a working suspension and a cool tube-frame w/roll bars

the jr. dragsters posted by rpm are totally wicked[ddev [dr
and 8.0 is a respectable time for a hot-rod IMO ...so for a briggs to pull it off is awesome/amazing[cl

Well it's not a go cart but it's a Mower that hauls ash and yes it's a big ash lol.

Attachments

• DSC00513.jpg
    DSC00513.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 29
They have Riding Lawn Mower races in the town I live next to every July 4th. Some of em get some serious speed going around the circle track they race on. Quite a site to see! One guy told me his was capable of 45 mph, don't know if that's true, but they sure look fast.[cl.......CR

I built and raced this mower for a couple race seasons...sold it to MTV this time last year for the crew on NITRO CIRCUS. (I'm the dork in the race suit)

They set a SPEED RECORD for the Guinness Book of World Records (Nov 7th, 2008 Fastest Modified Lawn Mower@ 61mph)!

They tried to make the longest jump with it..but the landing was not successful..so it didn't count.