Lead Sled? Rat Truck? What the hell is it?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thingy

thats the coolest looking truck, car, el camino looking thing iv ever seen, i like it, loads of potential man [;)

You asked for it...

img00005200912311312.jpg

img00011200912311314.jpg

img00010200912311313.jpg

That's all the more I have for now. Once I get it in the garage, the progress & pics will continue!

awesome!!![cl[cl

hey, how much did ya pay for that beauty??

Too much.... :D

I cleaned out the bed of the El Combino yesterday, it had old window screens, bricks, old tires, TONS of leaves, etc all piled up in the bed. After that, I hauled it down to the car wash and sprayed it off. It cleaned up pretty well.

After a closer look at the plates, it appears that the car was last registered in '86. Hopefully that means it was running and driving then, which if it was, it may be a matter of some work to get it running again. Time will tell!

We did however, buy a new 6V battery for the car! I got it cranking, it turns over, but I don't seem to be getting spark. It's literally frozen, since I pressure washed EVERYTHING, including under the hood and let it sit outside for 24 hrs in below freezing weather. There were icicles hanging off the block, etc... so I put it in the garage, plugged in the electric block heater and set a propane heater under the hood and started thawing it out. I'm going to try cranking it over again and see if anything changed.

It does have good compression, which is a good sign. After hooking up the new battery, we did have lighting in the glove box. Sounds silly, but that was exciting!! [cl

I don't see any "haul it home" pictures... take any?

Glad to hear it cranks.

I should have, but I didn't take any pics on the ride home. :( Thanks again for the use of the trailer Jeff!

I'll get the test light out tomorrow and see if I have power going to the coil. No spark and it cranks pretty slow, at this point I'm concerned that I might not get it running.

I'll work on getting some updated photos tomorrow.

I did get some fun parts from the UPS guy the other night... a pair of fender skirts from a Bel Air that I found on EBay for $50. They were painted black, but underneath that is some paint that looks like it may match the current paint job! I'm going to work on stripping off the black and see if I can keep the paint underneath that.

I'm also going to work on getting it running on gas, if the fuel pump works and the tank isn't all rusted to hell. Going to see about picking up some used tires for it too and see about getting it on the road after checking out the brakes, transmission and read end. Shouldn't take much more, the hard part is done! I guess getting the ignition switch working would be a good thing too. [ddev

I'm way stoked to get it running, it seems pretty strong too!

that thing is freekin sweet.

there is a buick? converted like that down the road from my house.
i'll snap a feww pics and post them if it isnt raining to hard tomorrow.

Glad you guys liked the video, I was pretty excited to get it running! Now to iron out the rest of the issues, one thing at a time.

I filled the radiator with antifreeze and put 5 gallons of gas in the tank today and started it again on starting fluid, until the gas was pumped up to the carb. It ran on gasoline for a bit, then the carb started puking gas out. I figured that since it was leaking gas onto a warm exhaust, it was a good time to shut it down.

I picked up a carb rebuild kit at NAPA for $15 and did a quick & dirty rebuild. Put the carb back on the car and started it again. It ran good for a few minutes, then started acting like it wasn't getting any gas. I think the fuel pump may have taken a dump... it would high-idle, but didn't want to rev up.

I also noticed that the water pump had a bit of seeping coming from it. Good thing that parts are cheap for this car!

Here's some pics from today. Obviously you got a good idea of what it looks like from the video, but hopefully the pics are fun to look at.

p1010001medium.jpg

p1010002medium.jpg

p1010003medium.jpg

p1010006medium.jpg

p1010007medium.jpg

i was wrong

it wasn't a buick but another chevy. this one was a wagon

will try to get better pics later

Attachments

• 01-15-10_1733.jpg
    01-15-10_1733.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 42