Leaf blower as a bolt on power adder!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2.3Turbo_T

Only in America! Check out the new issue of Hot Rod magazine. Those rocket scientists/journalists over at HRM, in their never ending quest to find cheap horsepower, bolted a pair of Craftsman leaf blowers to a small block Chevy in an '85 'Vette! Looked almost factory! The twin blowers produced a full 1 pound of boost that netted almost 50 hp on the dyno!
Imagine the possiblities!

Only downside is, you gotta yank the pull cord on each blower before entering the car!

On a side note, that would be considered an illegal modification here in Northern California. In the town just east of me they enacted an ordinance prohibiting the operation of gas powered leaf blowers within city limits (noise pollution)...............It just gets better and better![cl

Where there is a will, there is a way...

years back, (and I think it's been done since) people have come up with make shift blowers that "enhance" horsepower..... I have to admit, 50hp is nothing to sneeze at.... excuse the pun..... ..[S

50 horse power that you could get for practicaly nothing at a garage sale or auction is sweet!

I've heard rumor of a smog pump off of a 454 chevy being used as a "supercharger" on a flathead 8N ford tractor motor..Don't know if theres any truth to it and doubt any Hp gains would be very large..but what do I know..

I'd rig the pull starts so they ran to the passenger inside. That way you could start them as needed. Sleeper! :D

50 HP from 1 pound boost. That's over 0 pounds and no appreciable vacuum at WOT. 15 pounds atmospheric pressure. 1 pound boost is a fifteenth increase in manifold pressure. If that translates directly into a like gain in HP, the engine had 15 X 50= 750 HP???!!!

Basic Math.... it's a killer.....

50 HP from 1 pound boost. That's over 0 pounds and no appreciable vacuum at WOT. 15 pounds atmospheric pressure. 1 pound boost is a fifteenth increase in manifold pressure. If that translates directly into a like gain in HP, the engine had 15 X 50= 750 HP???!!!

I know, sounds a bit far fetched.....but, never tried it so .... need to FIRE UP THE LEAF BLOWERs!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Quantum Theory....

So is that really a linear relationship? And wouldn't the leaf blowers have a bigger affect at low RPM?

If the output of the blower times the diameter of the outlet times the size of the carb throat minus the CFM divided by the venturi size and compensating for intake valve size, bore times stroke times cam lift squared ...... oh you guys know what I mean!![S

SOOO.........., the logical rat rodder should just mount 10 of 'em in the pickup box, plumbed to a big pipe to the carb(s) with a progressive linkage to the gas pedal - boost on demand !! [ddd

the real problem is trying to get faux rust on the plastic leaf blowers so they will blend into the build..............[S

That's the easy part....

the real problem is trying to get faux rust on the plastic leaf blowers so they will blend into the build..............[S

heck, you can make a bird look rusty with the right paint!!... (there were no birds harmed in the making of this post)....

Latest posts

Back