leaning

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjohn

hey everyone, i need your advise. i have been working on a model a coupe project since april. started with a bare frame, set it up with small block ford and auto trans. has 4 in model a drop axle, original front and rear spring with rear mounted spring behind. now have body on frame, been down the block for test drive. noticed sitting in my level drivewat that car is lower on pass side by approx 5/8 in. any ideas, went out of my way to triple check my measurments when building, any help appreciated.

thanks, john

It's a little hard to make a guess at something like that. You might want to take photos of the vital areas & let us have a better look!

Beercan

I would start measuring everything, counting leafs in the springs, and looking for cracked springs. It is hard to measure everything after it is put together, but you could put it on blocks, and raise it until it is level. A local hotrodder here was having trouble getting the body to line up. After measuring, we found the frame he had been working on was bent, just a little.

Since you said you used "original" springs my first guess would be a sagging spring. But if they are new model A springs you need to be sure that the radius rods aren't preloaded. Preload would be caused if one radius rod had to be pulled, up or down, to make it line up with the frame mount. ..[P

Make sure the spring u-bolts are tightened the same amount. Count or measure the exposed threads beyond the nuts.

Latest posts

Back