Lil Rig Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatt ratt

well here is one of my trucks. started cleaning out the interior. has the original flathead in it. hope its not cracked. putting new flatbed on it. leaving the dually and doing dual 4 pipe stacks. looking for 2 pony kegs for gas tanks on each side to complete my lil rig them.

Attachments

• p_00171.jpg
    p_00171.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 78
  • p_00173.jpg
    p_00173.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 101
  • p_00170.jpg
    p_00170.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 91
well here is one of my trucks. started cleaning out the interior. has the original flathead in it. hope its not cracked. putting new flatbed on it. leaving the dually and doing dual 4 pipe stacks. looking for 2 pony kegs for gas tanks on each side to complete my lil rig them.

Sounds cool. Good luck with the build.

engine stuck

no the engine is completely stuck. the plan was to pour engine release into the cylinders and see if that works. if it dont the old diesel trick will be attempted. this truck has prally sat for over 50 years untouched. no i am the lucky son in law( the only one) to get to rat it.

rims question

does anyone know if these rims are the split rims or if that are one piece that are on the truck. thats something i dont know and i am trying to figure it out. if things work out, this one will get pulled out after i get my taxes back. i will have 2 weeks off in march to work solid on this. hoping to drive it to work at least once.

Your plans sound good.

If I had to take a stab in the dark (which is what I'm gonna do any way) The rims on that old guy probably are split rims. Even if you use a highly trained tire shop, they are still very dangerous. The best advice I can offer right now is plan on forking out the money for a set of new tubeless rims, or at least a set of good used ones. I understand how tight money is, but spend what you have wisely and safely...

Look forward to seeing your build thread...

split decision

Well as I think I posted this in my intro but I also have a 54 ford f100. The promblem is the wife wants me to work on one not both at the same time since she knows I want to drive one soon. Promblem is I just found a 351M for the 54. I know about the engine. I can get it for 200 as a rebuilder. I am just so confused since I want to get one running. They both need lots of work. 54 would be cheaper but more fab work. While rig rat is staying pretty stock but have to get the engine running, new wiring, and new rims( I think). Where the 54 is driveline, bodywork and wiring. Need input. This decides which one comes home from the farm this weekend!

build which ever one you like more... thats about all the advice i can give u...

more pics.....partially done seats

well this is some work i have done on the truck. still waiting on my taxes so i can get my welder so i can build the flatbed for it. (neighbor doesnt have one either) i also am still having no luck finding any pony kegs for the gas tanks. exhaust priced out. just the stack part is $200. just need to finish putting the fabric on the back seat. they are almost done. since taxes are not here yet, i cant pull it out. will have to do it during my four day next weekend. once it is done here, the front sheetmetal will be build for easy access to work on the engine. went junkyard hunting last weekend and found an old tandem axle gmc from the 30s. so tempting to buy it and build it with that look. have to get this one going. decided that this one will be easier to build and the 54 will still be around. still hoping to pull the other cars from the creek before the 2nd farm is sold. if i get them out, i will sell what i dont want and keep everything else. also a pic from my shifter know that i have to finish. so many little things to do and not enough time. not motivated to work on anything when the truck is not here.

Attachments

• IMG00026.jpg
    IMG00026.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG00027.jpg
    IMG00027.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 22
  • p_00182.jpg
    p_00182.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 17
  • p_00177.jpg
    p_00177.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 37
on hold

Well this truck is now on the back burner. Will pull it out while on leave from my deployment. Going to try abd do a quick cheap but safe build on my 48 chevy 3600. Will start a thread for that today. Have start pics, trailer pics and hopefully pics of the rear end and engine swap after this weekend and I have to get new rims and tires. I have limited funds for the chevy and will be buying parts for the ford during the deployment and I am going to have a pro do my bodywork and paint on my 81 chevy. Don't want to but don't have time to do it and the 81 is being built for my father in law.

in the creek

What? I musta missed something. What's in the creek?

yeah i made the mistake of saying to my mother-in-law that the cars in the creek at my wife's grandma's farm could pull anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000 and now they want to pull them out once it dries up enough to get the tractor to them. i know there is a chevy nomad back there, and few sedan deliveries. of course if there is a 32 ford, i am going to tell them to keep it so i can add it to my never ending list of rides that may never get built. i really wanted to tell them that the cars are crap that way i could keep them myself but grandma is in a rest home and the farm is getting sold sometime this year. if they can sell some of the cars then maybe it will hold selling the farm off long enough for me to be able to buy the it. i will be the one selling the cars for them so when we get them pulled out, i will post the list here and will try to be reasonable about them, but you know they will have to make enough to support grandma. the ones i know that will go for more money, will more than likely go on ebay.

Kinda like us deciding what your favorite flavor of ice cream is isn't it? Which do you REALLY want to drive first? There you go, you have your answer... Make it happen! :D We'll be watching... [P Just so you know, the 351M is a destroked 400M and performance parts are pretty scarce. Some cleveland parts will interchange, but its not a widely supported motor from a performance standpoint. If you intend to pump up the motor at all, a 302 windsor would be a better choice and they're pretty plentiful. Just thought I'd mention it.

Regards,

Rev. D.

thanks

Kinda like us deciding what your favorite flavor of ice cream is isn't it? Which do you REALLY want to drive first? There you go, you have your answer... Make it happen! :D We'll be watching... [P Just so you know, the 351M is a destroked 400M and performance parts are pretty scarce. Some cleveland parts will interchange, but its not a widely supported motor from a performance standpoint. If you intend to pump up the motor at all, a 302 windsor would be a better choice and they're pretty plentiful. Just thought I'd mention it.

Regards,

Rev. D.

thanks for the info

i started to dig a little deeper into performance parts for the 351m and decided that was not what i really wanted so i didnt get it. also the limited amount of parts that are available. i originally was going to use a 302 but i was having difficulties finding one so that is when i found the 351m. sucks now that i am not working on it(the ford). i already have a rearend out of a 70 chevelle for the the 48 chevy, plus a donor chevy 305 with the manual granny tranny. not the greatest combo but it should make it easier to get on the road and i do plan on getting a 5 speed tranny eventually for the truck. the chevy is going to be more rusty stock looking than anything.

FR

Latest posts

Back