Littlest Rat aka Mini Rat in England.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all speak of it as Jo'burg so no worries here. I'd say the rodding scene is quite alive here but it's mostly Street Rods. You hardly ever see any traditional kind'a hot rods or even rat rods around here BUT I'm gonna make an effort to influence other rodders to follow these lines. Since getting a liking for hot rods, rat rods and customs I changed my way of thinking and most probably never build a Street Rod / modernized kind of car again.

Last edited:
I built a euro rat awhile back.... you may be able to appreciate it more than the US folks... More of a race car though. (the grey one) I painted it battleship grey, 2.0 block with a solid lifter head, 280 cam, dual sidedraft Delortro carbs, race header, H&R coils, procar rally seats, full cage, ATS cup wheels, close raito trans with a tall 5th gear & a quaife diff. has other stuff but you get the idea, a blast to drive on the street.. that thing was fast and handled like a go cart.

The yellow one is a diesel that I bought for $200, put a head gasket in it and sold it for $2000. Kind of cool... it has a factory britax ragtop... that one had Ronnal turbos on it. It was dirty when I got it but it is highly unusual to find one here in Minnesota with no rust.

Attachments

• DSC02968.JPG
    DSC02968.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC03476.JPG
    DSC03476.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC02956.JPG
    DSC02956.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC02969.JPG
    DSC02969.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC03097.JPG
    DSC03097.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Ace has had a roofectomy

Stage one now complete...(que sinister laugh - wha ha ha) suicide doors under way (door window frames need to go too, Oh yeah and 1/2 the windscreen)...

smallRoadsterStage11.jpg

SmallRoadsterStage12.jpg

Hi Mr Loaf or can I call you Meat? :p

I love the Nash Metroplitan's they are great fun looking cars but I suspect the lil' 4 banger is tiny by US standards - what are your plans...

Oh and not to be picky... Ace is a Riley Elf -like an Austin Mini but with a bigger trunk and a Riley Grille:):)

what do you think?

I tried a photo shop of your car, made the tires bigger and choipped the top.

Pablo

Attachments

• mini_edited-1 (Medium).jpg
    mini_edited-1 (Medium).jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 35
Just an update

Just a few quick pics by way of an update - roof gone yep, Doors suicided yep, latches sorted yep, ready for some fun this summer oh YEP!

just the finishing (filler and paint) to go...

RoadsterStage21small.jpg

RoadsterStage22small.jpg

RoadsterStage24small.jpg

At last...

Well after 6 months of planning and working I think I have the desired result and my vision is fullfilled, the Easter weekend (4 days of soild graft) saw me rub the car down, move the fuel filler inside the trunk (required welding a fuel tank - to be honest the tank came off my parts car so had not seen any petrol in years) (to produce a smooth rear 1/4), mask up the dash and engine bay and lay on some paint in the time time honoured rat style - rattle cans - then 4 evenings of refitting all the bits i had taken off lamps bumpers etc...so now the question is what do you guys think?

RoadsterStage38Small.jpg

RoadsterStage312Small.jpg

RoadsterStage32Small.jpg

RoadsterStage311SMALL.jpg

The badges on the door trims are from the original wheel trims and were a perfect fit the cover the whole for the old window winder (no side windows) and to open the door there are old gearknobs where the windows were to operate the lock mech

RoadsterStage37Small.jpg

He He He Biggles! has been a naughty boy!!!

He He He... I've been a naughty boy this week :D

at the begining of the week my engine bay looked like this...

Supercharger1small.jpg

then I got to work and now it looks like this...

SUPERCHARGERDONE.jpg

That big lump of alloy is an Eaton Supercharger :eek: it comes from a BMW Mini Cooper S and has been modified to fit on my classic mini engine, it is claimed to increased the power by 60 to 70% we will see when I take it to a rolling road in a few weeks for tuning.

I know that the expectation of 100+hp is not big in your world but in my little 10' 8" car its big time fun :eek:

Oh BTW the supercharger comes form the good old US of A.

Now that is really an neat addition. I can't wait to see the pics of the smoke rollin off the tires. :D

wow! nice kit! is yours a 1275? if you haven't made 100hp with that then some bottom end work and a smaller pulley should do it :)

Hi Joeb,

Good to hear from you, its a 1293cc standard rebuild that was producing 64hp last time I put it on the rollers... so a 50% increase would be 96hp and 60% would be 102hp and 70% is 109hp can wait to find out...

Oh BTW just been for a bit of a run and the needle was bouncing off 90mph :eek: and it only reads to 95 :cool: cant wait for it to be tuned properly

Last edited:
You're a bad man Biggles. Aren't superchargers fun? The one on my C-5 Vette raised the hp rating from 350 to 530.

Your engine compartment looks substantially more "business like" too. An outstanding addition.

Latest posts

Back