Loaning out tools

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lent my cherry picker out ONCE! The guy kept his engine up in the air on it with the pump extended for a few days! :eek: Needless to say but the pump was toast! Never again..Sad that some people don't care for or respect another's property when they borrow items. Now I just say no cause I make my living with them

Just one more I promise.
My son in-law is my best friend too. He never cleans or picks his tools up.
I was working on a carb for him one day and his tools had laid in an open tool box in the rain. While working on the car I asked if he had a quart of oil? After he handed it to me I promptly poured the entire quart in the tool box [ddd He's never forgot that day :cool:

Just one more I promise.
My son in-law is my best friend too. He never cleans or picks his tools up.
I was working on a carb for him one day and his tools had laid in an open tool box in the rain. While working on the car I asked if he had a quart of oil? After he handed it to me I promptly poured the entire quart in the tool box [ddd He's never forgot that day :cool:

[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl

I let my friend borrow my brand new never used torque wrench. He was taking the heads off of his truck motor for a valve job. A couple days later I stop by his house to see how it's going. I walk up as he's swinging a hammer against the handle of my torque wrench attempting to break a bolt loose. I asked him if he realized that he had just ruined my torque wrench but he didn't get it and he never used any of my tools again....

I loaned my best buddy a DA sander once and he left it outside in the rain for a couple days. Rusted it up solid. One good thing about buying expensive name brand tools is sometimes you get lucky and they'll fix them for free.

Just today a guy came into work and needed a new gas cap and anchor for his boat. He loaned his boat to his Brother in Law and when it came back those things were missing. I asked him if he was ever going to loan him the boat again and he said "NO !" :D He said when he asked him where those things went his BIL said he had no idea where they went.

Don

I have a neighbor that I have been loaning to and borrowing from for 30+ years and it works out fine........several years ago he wanted to borrow my twelve pound sledgehammer and said he'd put a new handle in it for me. I said I just put a new handle in it, he said oh, "I'll break that in the first lick or two"........sure enough when he brought it back it had a different handle in it. :D

many times i have lent out tools to trusted friends and they were returned promptly in as good or better/cleaner condition.
once i even got a new better one because mine broke
i have been helped out on many occasions when i needed a hand because i lent a hand
SHOCKING BUT TRUE!!!!!!
I have lent out cars,trucks,tools,guns,computers etc.
but i only lend things to the aforementioned folks i trust

many times i have lent out tools to trusted friends and they were returned promptly in as good or better/cleaner condition.
once i even got a new better one because mine broke
i have been helped out on many occasions when i needed a hand because i lent a hand
SHOCKING BUT TRUE!!!!!!
I have lent out cars,trucks,tools,guns,computers etc.
but i only lend things to the aforementioned folks i trust

Not a tool lending story, but this weekend I helped a "good friend" out by fixing his bicycle. Figured I would save him $50-100 rather than taking it to a bike shop. Put in about half an hour and then brought it back to his place, half hour drive each way. All I got was an "oh, thanks". Some people just don't appreciate things like us guys here, whether it be tools, unasked favors, etc.

I tend to do a lot of favors/nice things for people just because that's who I am and how I was raised, and find that it is rare the gesture is returned. As a result I'm finding myself to only help out people who I know will appreciate the gesture. As the saying goes, fool me once...

I have one really good next-door neighbor that I'll gladly help out or lend certain yard tools to, but otherwise unless it's my dad or girlfriend it's the previously mentioned no lending policy.

I started this thread last Friday after having to ask for my saber saw back from a coworker.

She's had it now for about 4 weeks to cut her kitchen cabinet.

It's now Tuesday, and still no tool. [S[S[S[S[S[S[S[S

Loaning tools

Several years ago back before I got a divorce from my first wife, I was doing some welding, tractor & equipment repair, along with vehicles, all after work. Anything I could get in my shop (some jobs was done outside) I could turn a dollar on. Over the years I have acquired several thousands of dollars worth of Snap-On tools. I usually buy most any tool I need, including "special" tools. Seldom do I borrow anything.
I had a couple of friends that had keys to my shop that were great about anything they used or borrowed. One of them got a little careless, I changed the keys and give only one of them a key and from then on, this friend (a very close friend at the least) was never an opportunity. He seldom got anything without asking first.
Some time years back I was under the hood of a truck, actually sitting on the top of the core support pulling a set of heads I think, best friend had stopped by (as always just checking on me) handing tools, BS'ing, just shooting the breeze. There was a car stopped at the end of my drive way, which was about 250' feet long. He walked up to my shop asked to borrow a 3/8" wrench. I crawled out from under the hood to look in my loaner box (cheap tools either given to me or found in old vehicles) for a wrench. He spotted a Snap-On under the hood of the truck about the time I found one and he said there's one. I said I don't loan them, but here's one you can use. He asked what's wrong with using the better one, I said if you don't bring this one back, I haven't lost much. He said hell I'm just at the end of your drive way. I said don't matter you can use this one or I don't have anything else to loan. He took it and I got back under the hood of the truck. A few minutes later I heard the car start then just drive off! Best friend said do you want to run him down, I said no, not a big loss and I'd bet he will never be back here again. Best friend said I see why you were rigged for a pos to give him.
Sorry for the long post, but such dose happen.
I've always heard "Don't load your car or wife to anyone, since some one will throw a Rod in either"!

Just today a guy came into work and needed a new gas cap and anchor for his boat. He loaned his boat to his Brother in Law and when it came back those things were missing. I asked him if he was ever going to loan him the boat again and he said "NO !" :D He said when he asked him where those things went his BIL said he had no idea where they went.

Don

I can understand losing a gas cap, everybody has done that at one time or another, but an anchor? How the heck do you lose an anchor? [S

Several years ago back before I got a divorce from my first wife, I was doing some welding, tractor & equipment repair, along with vehicles, all after work. Anything I could get in my shop (some jobs was done outside) I could turn a dollar on. Over the years I have acquired several thousands of dollars worth of Snap-On tools. I usually buy most any tool I need, including "special" tools. Seldom do I borrow anything.
I had a couple of friends that had keys to my shop that were great about anything they used or borrowed. One of them got a little careless, I changed the keys and give only one of them a key and from then on, this friend (a very close friend at the least) was never an opportunity. He seldom got anything without asking first.
Some time years back I was under the hood of a truck, actually sitting on the top of the core support pulling a set of heads I think, best friend had stopped by (as always just checking on me) handing tools, BS'ing, just shooting the breeze. There was a car stopped at the end of my drive way, which was about 250' feet long. He walked up to my shop asked to borrow a 3/8" wrench. I crawled out from under the hood to look in my loaner box (cheap tools either given to me or found in old vehicles) for a wrench. He spotted a Snap-On under the hood of the truck about the time I found one and he said there's one. I said I don't loan them, but here's one you can use. He asked what's wrong with using the better one, I said if you don't bring this one back, I haven't lost much. He said hell I'm just at the end of your drive way. I said don't matter you can use this one or I don't have anything else to loan. He took it and I got back under the hood of the truck. A few minutes later I heard the car start then just drive off! Best friend said do you want to run him down, I said no, not a big loss and I'd bet he will never be back here again. Best friend said I see why you were rigged for a pos to give him.
Sorry for the long post, but such dose happen.
I've always heard "Don't load your car or wife to anyone, since some one will throw a Rod in either"!

I remember one summer I was working at my dads shop and someone asked to borrow a pry bar. Since he was 50 feet from the shop door my dad obliged. After the guy was done with the bar he hurled it into the air across the parking lot, then drove over it purposely when he drove off. Made a lot of sense to destroy the handle and bend the bar of someone's tool after they just helped you out... [S

My friends can borrow anything anytime and some are real good about it, the ones who aren't or don't return stuff without me asking, the policy changes for them. I'll do the same for most car guys, but just once if ya screw up and I have to ask to get it back.

Guilty. Borrowed brother-in-laws 5/8" line wrench, broke it. Bought a new set, giving the 5/8" - 11/16" to him. Now I have a set minus the 5/8"...most used size. I'm probably more upset about it than him; it's not like I had a cheater pipe on it, or anything. I'm not that big & powerful either.[S Should have just bought the set myself in the first place...in fact, why didn't I have my own set?:confused:

Bright side for him, he gets the new better wrench and I'm giving him the radiator responsible for breaking his wrench. Ended up cutting the line...now it's his problem to get it off.[ddd It was for the oil cooler anyway, I doubt he'll ever use that port.

Latest posts

Back