Long awaited joining of two halves

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the most part, 4 layers of 1 1/2 oz. mat. Just under 1/4"

Later on as it goes on I'll build up here and there, add some core mat and unidirectional cloth where needed.

The windshield frame had to be molded in two "C" shapes, front and back. The layup was heavy to give a 3/8" edge after grinding. There's a spiral wrapped length of 3/8" all-thread with e-glass running through the frame. Then the two halves were epoxied together. The pillars were packed with shredded glass, capped off, and vacuum infused with epoxy resin.

The windshield frame is stronger than the original.

As I said earlier. Extremely well done!
I have plans in the works to do a "Roth" type build using the same methods that he did so it will be a one off build.
Still working on wether it will be a bubble top or not.
Keep the posts coming.
Torchie.

I finally got the body sitting on the frame. Now I can finally make the fiberglass trans and drive shaft tunnels. Going with a floor mounted shifter about 10" past the trans tail.

How much space would you guys suggest I leave around the trans? !",2"?

Attachments

• 1-20-14 2.jpg
    1-20-14 2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 1-20-14 4.jpg
    1-20-14 4.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 1-20-14 5.jpg
    1-20-14 5.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 77
Just so there is enough room to clear everything and not have the trans bumping when engine rocks over under full throttle you should be fine.I would try for 1 inch to have as much floor space as possible.
Your build is incredible.Great work![;)

Last edited:
WOW!

That is so much better looking than a regular ebay T-bucket. Looking forward to more updates on this one, and to see when they go on sale!

You can do it. Laying up glass is no more difficult than painting. Lots and lots of preparation. The more prepared you are, the smoother it will go.

The time consuming part is in making plugs (prototypes). I have 2 years into this and easily 2500 hours. 90% of that in making the one-off plugs.

But I've had this car in my head for 30 years. So what's a few more years?

Attachments

• IMGP0073.jpg
    IMGP0073.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 6-1-13 3.JPG
    6-1-13 3.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 5-27-13 5.JPG
    5-27-13 5.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 29
Are you done itching yet ? :D That actually looks very cool, you will have people shaking their heads over what it is and I bet you have a crowd around it at every show.

Don

I've got this system where I set up a 3 foot fan on the left side of me. And send the fibers to the right toward an exhaust fan in my shop.

It works pretty well. I just have to pay attention to the rotation on my grinder.

I think I get more itch from prepping the glass. Feathering the edges and such.

Latest posts

Back