Looking for a small fan...or raise the radiator?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryH

I'm looking for a small fan (it can't be any bigger than 12" in diameter) so i can dump the electric fan on my T-Bucket. The only small one i can find is a flex fan and i've heard a few stories about them cracking and coming apart.

Anyone know of a small fan?

Or i could raise the radiator up a couple of inches. What cha think? From the ground to the top of the grille shell is 29 1/2", cowl is 33 1/4" so the radiator would still be lower than the cowl.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 20
Hard to tell with out a side view. As long as the radiator doesnt end up higher than the cowl, then I would say raise it and use a bigger fan.

Think 12" may be a little small to cool a v-8

I'm thinking a 12" fan might be kind of small. The only time it starts to heat up (even in this 104 degree heat) is in town. But it cools right down as soon as i turn the fan on.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 30
I hate electric fans. I hate the way it looks and i hate the sound. It just doesn't look right on an open engine car.

and i hate the sound...

Yeah they sound "modern", but hey just uncork the exhaust and you won't hear it :D

It would look good if you raised the radiator a couple of inches to match the cowl height. You might need a shroud though, depending on how close you can get that fan to the radiator

Go to summit racing, they have nylon fans in a 12" dia. Thats what I had to use after my flex fan that was too big decided to flex forward into my radiator.

Raised it up 3". It's about an inch lower than the cowl. Now i have enough room to run a 15" fan.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 8
If you ever see a mechanical fan shed a blade at speed you may rethink not liking your electric one. :D:D I've seen what they do when that happens and without a hood to contain it you never know what it is going to hit.

Don

I have a small mechanical fan that I won't be using.

Thanks for the offer. I scrounged up a fan.

If you ever see a mechanical fan shed a blade at speed you may rethink not liking your electric one.

Only in pictures. But if i worried about everything that "could" go wrong it would drive me completely crazy. Which for me would be a very short drive.

Since you've already solved the problem this may be a bit late, but I have cut down the blades on flex fans a couple times with no probs. Not on the cheap ones with the tapered blades, I used the better quality ones with the wide stainless steel blades. They are riveted and pretty beefy so I'd be surprised to see one come apart.

Attachments

• 2004project28 001z.jpg
    2004project28 001z.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back