Looking for pics for guidance...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMartin

I'm looking for some pics of a 1952 Dodge truck rat rod. I just want some ideas on how I may make my truck into a rod. Im having some trouble seeing what I need to do to get it where I want. (if that makes sense). Thanks for any help....

That is one tuff order, as it turns out. Is this what we are looking at?
52dodge.jpg

Ideas....

Check out this attachment....I really like this truck. It is like the one shown with the flat bed in the front end anyway. Still has regular bed and side rails. Like the idea of a chop too. Seen anything like that?

Attachments

• rat-rod-pickup.jpg
    rat-rod-pickup.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 138
How's this....

This is the only ’52 Dodge PU I could find with a chop and lowered....
So I “borrowed” the images.... :D ‘22

truck2jpgthumbnail1db6.jpg

52 Dodge pick up pics...

Thanks guys. I like both of these trucks. Not as radical as I was thinking but still great trucks. I'll try to get some pics listed of what I've got to work with.

Thanks again and keep em coming.....

52 Dodge truck...

Now I think Im gonna switch the cab and modified bed over to a 85 S-10 Ive got. Chop the top, chop and shorten the bed, leave the front clip off all together, drop in a V-8 and air bags. Leave off the rear fenders and put on some big wheels in the back with smaller in the front. What do you guys think?

Well since you did ask, I think it will look like total ass without fenders, and especially on an S-10 chassis. All of that exposed IFS and steering that is unavoidable on the S-10 is big, clunky and just not attractive. Fine if you want to hide it underneath the entire body though, which is what I would advise you to do. You have the makings of a really neat little cruiser pickup there and it would be a shame to see it cut apart.

I think in the long run you will be much happier with something that is a little more classic, such as the trucks pictured earlier in the thread. It will also be much more practical and driveable, especially if you want to set the entire truck onto the S-10 chassis. (with the fenders!) I know it isn't "radical", but if that what you are looking for - especially if you want an open wheeled hot rod truck, you need to find something earlier and smaller. I know it is what you have, but if you build it right you may be able to sell it and get something more along the lines of what you are looking for. Or sell it now and start over. It is your truck, so by all means build it how you want. You asked for opinions and that is mine. Take it for what it is worth...

52 Dodge truck...

Thanks Blue Eye. I appreciate your opinion and your honesty. I'll definitely think about what you said. I was already wondering about how to or if I could hide the suspension parts of the S-10. The other reason for the possible front end omittance is due to a wrinkled front corner. But, what I've got is what I've got and I'll figure out something. Replies like yours is what I need though. Because I definitely am new to this scene....

Keep 'em coming....

You have a hard body style to deal with. The way the fenders and nose are on those make em difficult. I agree in a general way with what Blue Eyed Devil says about open IFS suspensions - better left covered if possible. That said, I've seen some IFS in the open that aren't distracting.

A few thoughts on your body style. It's wide, so low and fat would be a easy look to hit - chop and section it. A lot! Going open front means the lower part of the doors would need to be pushed in to get rid of the bulge out and probably the cowl area would need to be reworked to look right.

I stared at those pics a while and ideas I came up with would be hard chop and section, leave the hood, loose the fenders and nose. Keep the section where it says Dodge and make that the top of a grille re-worked from the original grill to narrow and tall. With the hood in place, you could probably run IFS and get by, but moving the front wheels forward on a straight axle might work too.

There's always the gasser photo thread for ideas! Mmmmm....gassers....

52 Dodge truck...

Thanks Fear....I thought about leaving the hood and removing the fenders too. I think the best way to really get a true plan of attack is to start with the tape measure. Measure the frame of the S-10 after body removal and then go to the stock Dodge. I really like the idea of not having fenders but I'm not sure about the over all look. And that is really important. I know what I want in my head but staring and staring at it all is just not getting it done. I definitely don't want it to be tacky when I get done. I like the low and fat idea too. May cut the floor out and body drop it which may allow me to better hide the rear parts underneath. Double frame the bed, notch it around the rear axle and raise the bed floor up. The front is the real block....right now looking at it makes it seem real short from the doors forward and real long from the doors back. I want a more balanced look....

52 dodge pics

After looking at the front end, I think it's possible to cut off the corners and leave the hood. Cut the grill and section it in the middle making it narrow. This would do two things: One-allow me to keep the Dodge badge and Two-let me get rid of the bent corner without having to do all of the beating and banging. Still leaves the question of being able to hide the S-10 front end or not. Back seems alot simpler. Gonna start prepping the S-10 this weekend. In the meantime, I would still take any ideas or pics of modified 52 Dodges because I'm working with a clean slate...

Thanks guys.

If you try fenderless, you will have to 'push in' the lower bulge on the doors or it will definitely look screwball.

If I get a bored moment maybe I'll do a few quicky photohacks on one of the above photos.

Thanks Blue Eye. I appreciate your opinion and your honesty. I'll definitely think about what you said. I was already wondering about how to or if I could hide the suspension parts of the S-10. The other reason for the possible front end omittance is due to a wrinkled front corner. But, what I've got is what I've got and I'll figure out something. Replies like yours is what I need though. Because I definitely am new to this scene....

Keep 'em coming....

First of all I just wanted to say that you have a great attitude towards being a "new guy" in this hobby. I know that I am opinionated, gruff, and stuck in my ways sometimes, but you handled it like opinions should be. Well, in MY book anyways. :) It's nice to see someone that is open to suggestion and eager to learn. I'm not the world's greatest hot rodder by any means, but I have been around this stuff for a long time and have learned a thing or two in my years. If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

That being said - I still think you are going to run into big problems trying to run that S-10 chassis fenderless. The steering box being one of the major concerns, because it is hung way out front there and it's a whole lotta ugly. Same to be said for the A-arms, crossmember and pretty much everything else connected with an S-10. Great performance underneath, especially for an old truck, but out in the open? It just doesn't cut it. There's just a lot going on there and it will be really tough if not impossible to make it look anywhere close to respectable. Honestly I have never seen one that didn't look like a hacked up pile of ass/trailer park nightmare. Not good!

Do the beating and banging on the fenders - it's good for ya! You will learn a lot and you will have a truck that won't be out of style next year when everyone else has moved along to the next "cool" thing...

This is kind a a argument/follow up to Blue Eyes comments about open wheel IFS. It may be kinda like Rap music - the old rock-n-rollers think it sounds like noise, but a whole lotta younger generation like it. I guess what I'm saying is maybe we are the ones that 'just don't get it'?

NMatin, what you should probably do if at all possible, is go for the open wheel look, but keep from doing anything permanent that will prevent you from putting the fenders back on until you know 100% open IFS is what you want.

Latest posts

Back