lost interest

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stovebolt

dont know what happen but after i sold my last car,and took a beatin, so we could catch up on bills i've lost all interest. cant even read any of my car mags. going to start selling a lot of stuff but for some reason cant sell my 49 merc 4dr or my 50 chevy i chopped 18years ago and never finished. tell me this will go away.

don't worry guy, just give it a rest. take up golf, go on a trip, start smokin' crack. i've got burned out on projects before, take some time off and i'll bet you come back to it with a whole new attitude!

good luck brother!:)

Happens to the best of us :(
Just pause for a short while and see what happens.
You may decide to pick up where you left off or you may really be done. Time will tell ;)
If you go insane with selling post away here. Well in the correct section :cool:

We all take breaks from time to time when we get burnt out, I took a couple years off from it, and knew I would get back into a project.... Just give it time...

Walk away and let it go...its in your blood so you'll get back when you're ready. Hang in...it definatly gets better. . I know....already hit rock bottom in my life...its only up from that point.....cr

Yep, happens to all of us, and it can either be just a short break we take from it or it can last sometimes for years and years.

Over the course of my life I have had two obsessive hobbies.......cars and boats, but never at the same time. When I was boating and fishing I had no interest in playing with cars, and when I was building cars my boat would sit unused or I would sell it. There was a period of about 10 years when I was deep into fishing and boating and didn't even have a project car, nor did I want one.

Right now I am sort of bored with cars a little bit and don't have the energy I need to really crank on my rpu project. For the past few weeks I have piddled around on it but haven't really done anything significant. Just taking a little break to let the desire come back.

Don

I only go to a fraction of the shows I use to go to. When I was working, going to shows was the break I needed to keep going. But now, the wife and I are retired and sitting around at shows isn't for me. However, there are a couple of shows that get my rev's up. Traditional Rods and Customs like the Ventura Nationals (formerly Primer Nationals) and the Mooneyes Xmas Show. These shows have great bands and things to do other than sitting around.

I preach about considering the fun and satisfaction that will be returned for the amount of time and money involved in starting a particular car project. The less invested, the less stress and potential for regret if a project doesn't fulfill the big dreams. You stated that you lost a lot of money when you sold a car to pay bills.
Not surprising that you lack motivation to jump back into that situation.

Ive given up on building cars several times and every time i do all the people i know shake their heads and say ill never give it up and they are always right after a couple of months im at it again.:cool:

Don't sell everything!! Keep the stuff you have for the chopped 50, then sell the rest of the stuff, do not sell any tools now close and lock the shop door and take this winter off don't even think of cars and in the Spring start going to some car shows. I bet the fever will return! Good luck.

Money, it's a funny thing.

When you have it, you're on top of the World. When you don't, makes everything that much more difficult.

I could sit here and tell you that things will get better, but it's YOU who has to right the ship. Kind of like, life hands you lemons, make lemonade kind of stuff.

I hit hard times a while back, had to sell off some really awesome, and really RARE chopper parts. Hated to do so, but needed to eat and a roof over my head. I could have found other means to get the cash, but when the chip are down, we kind of get tunnel vision. It's always darkest before dawn...

Now, that things are better for me, I go out to my shop and think back on all the cool stuff I had...that can't be replaced for any dollar amount. And that's a bummer.

So, I guess what I'm saying is: don't sell your stuff you've been working so hard on. Take a break, learn how to golf, whatever. Hot Rods are who you are, and there is no currency out there that can take that away from you.

Take some time off, and come back ready to kick some a$$ when the time is right.

Best of luck!

Hey Stovebolt

I was in the exact spot you were last year....I took my 1953 Rat rod Chevy truck and pushed it into the weeds next to my house. I pushed a freebie 1947 CJ2A (Willys Jeep)in last December and I worked and I am still working on it and having a blast...but recently I have been getting the itch to roll the old rat rod back inside and give it another shot...I even bought another cab to maybe swap things around a little. I get anxious a lot so changing things out helps keep me going and sane too. I have been racing oval track cars for the past 10 years and I currently have eveything roundy round related up for sale...I dont even follow any racing now at all...It maybe we are going thru the same stuff...as we age we change...what we loved 5 or 10 years ago we might not care as much for anymore...I try to keep some projects around just in case I change my mind again.
Just keep pluggin along...prayer is always a good thing too...The big guy upstairs can help with some of your questions too..
Keep us in the loop...thanks for posting this subject...I feel like I am not alone in this thing we call life...
MikeC

I take a little time off from it from time to time. Just rolled mine back in the barn for a while yesterday. Don't plan on playing with it for a little while.

Relax

resize.php

Latest posts

Back