Lost my best friend Sunday

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tattoodfreak

Hey guys and gals I know I'm new but I really don't have alot of friends anymore(by choice) and I need to get this off my chest. My best friend of the last 6 years died Sunday afternoon. His name was Harley and he was a boxer mix. I can't post any pix yet I'm afraid I'll start balling again and I'm at work and I don't want that.
I'll start at the beginning-some friends of my girlfriend had Har to begin with but they didn't take him to the vet and he contracted parvo. So they called us and asked us what to do-even though we already had two dogs, we said we would get him treated but they couldn't have him back. They said that was fine because he was almost dead anyway. We went to pick him up and even though he was almost dead he still managed to raise his head and wage his tail just a little-that made me get choked up. So we took him to the vet and they gave him about a 30% chance of pulling through or we could have him put down. I just couldn't do it, even though we really didn't have the $500 to get the treatment-we did it anyway. Long story short he got better over the next three days and we got to take him home. I had to keep him away from my other dogs for two weeks-so he pretty much went every where with me. I was suppose to find him a new home after the two weeks were over-well that didn't happen-we had a bond no one could seperate.
He was a horrible puppy-into everything especially my girlfriends stuff. We had many fights about dog, but he wasn't going anywhere! Well he grew up and became the sweetest dog-even though he was 90lbs and looked kinda mean-it wouldn't hurt a flea. He was with me all the time always by my side. He was so goofy he loved to make people laugh and he was so gentle with people and other animals-my two cats adored him.
When my Mom was in her late stages of alzheimers, Harley was the only one that could calm her down when she had an "episode"-dad would call me all hours and say I need Harley over here your moms upset again,and off we'd go.
Sorry I know this is really long so I'll get to the end. Sunday I came home from work and let harley and the other dogs out-they played for a while everything was fine. Came inside I sat down in my chair Har right beside me rubbing his head-typical day. Hour later my woman came home Har got up to see her came back in sat by me was rubbing his head again-and he collasped-I thought he was having a seizure (he'd never had one before though). I got down on the floor with him and I could tell it wasn't good-he died right there in my arms-2 minutes later. No time to do anything-he was gone.
I'm beyond devastated I feel like my heart has been ripped out of my chest. I still can't believe he's gone-I haven't cried this much since i was a kid and i got an ass beating daily. Well I gotta go,sorry I rambled but I needed to get this off my chest-Ba

My heart goes out to you. You gave Harley lots of years he wouldn't have had if you hadn't taken him when he was a sick pup.

Sometimes I think I like dogs better than people.

I know the other pet lovers on here are like me, whenever someone posts something like you just did, I tear up because it brings back memories of losing my own pets and how horrible I felt. I am so sorry for you losing Harley like that.

If there is any consolation it is that he didn't suffer for long and went peacefully, but those only go so far in easing the pain. You gave him a great home, lots of love, and were a good friend to him. So many animals never get to know that love, and I feel so sorry for them.

Wish I had some words to say to make this easier for you, but there are none, you will just have to let time take some of the edge off of it. I wish you well, bud.

Don

Man I'm sorry to hear that. :( It was a week ago yesterday that we buried our "Toby" so the pain is still fresh. Hang in there and we'll both get through this one day and be ready to give another pet the love it deserves. :)

Sorry to hear this. I can tell you I know exactly how you feel. Lost a very special dog four years ago, got him from a man who worked for the township. He found the litter of pups dumped in the ditch, turned out to be the best friend I've ever had. Cancer got him in the end.

I know it's hard to believe right now but time will help heal what you feel now. All the best to you.

Glenn

Sounds like harley had some good years with you....he deserved that much.....you are a good person to do what you did with him.....sorry about your loss.....

I think as pet lovers we all have stories like that, at least I know I do!!
I wonder sometimes why we seem to get so attached to animals like we
do? So sorry for your loss, there's nothing anyone can say I know, but
time does do wonders!!
Like I said I have a story too, and I still can't bring myself to tell that one,
and "Lil Bit" has been gone for three years!!

Thanks Guys-it helped talking about it. I've been trying to stay busy,but it still is really hard for me. I have two other dogs and two cats-but he was different-although the little female cat(Sophie) is my baby. I just can't beleive how much I miss him. I got his ashes back yesterday and that brought back all the emotions again. Like I said thanks-it helps just getting it out there.

Latest posts

Back