Lower control arm opinions.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89johnny

Alright I have to relocate my lower control arms. They are currently on the outside of my frame and rear axle. My idea would be to attach the front to the bottom of the frame and the back more towards the middle close to the pumpkin to achieve triangulation. The question is, would this work?

Last edited:
Alright I have to relocate my lower control arms. They are currently on the outside of my frame and rear axle. My idea would be to attach the front to the bottom of the frame and the back more towards the middle close to the pumpkin to achieve triangulation. The question is, would this work?

I would say don't do it - that's pretty much the opposite of how every triangulated 4 link is done. Angle the upper arms instead, either moving in the front mounts or the rear mounts. I'm no engineer but I think the lower arms bear more load and strain and bringing their rear mounts into the middle may make it unstable.
Is there a clearance issue that makes you want to do this ??

That's pretty much like mine are set up. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I took the coupe out on a winding country road and played Ricky Roadracer on a bunch of 90 degree turns and others not quite so tight, and it handled freakin' great. I used to race, so I like haulin' butt around corners, and this setup seems pretty good, so far, IMHO. Just my $.02 ;)

Thanks guys. I have plenty of room to do just about whatever I want. I have a pan hard bar in place I am just trying to make it as stable as possible. It sounds better opposite of what I thought. to make it narrow at the frame and wide at the axle now that I think about it.

Are you running a 4-link or 2 trailing arms? You can't have a triangulated 4-link with a panhard - something will bind. If you have your arms bolted solid to the axle and attached to the frame near the trans yolk with a panhard, that is a very common set up.

I went to your build and took a look at what you have going on. You didn't mention the angled coil overs. Post up some clear pics of what you have and how everything is mounted.

Latest posts

Back