MAIDEN Build. 46' IH Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a Tractor Supply Company or Shiptons they have an implament paint for tractors/ plows and whatnot. I used the black on my frame. It's very durable and also comes in several colors. FYI One being IH red.

Now about the media blasting. you can buy playground sand at Lowes or Home depot that does a great job and is very cheap with the cost of renting a big blaster. Like less than $100 for the day for everything compared to having someone do it for ya. The only part you can't blast is the hood. It's the thinest metal and may warp.

The build is coming along great

I'm really diggin it[P[P. I recently pulled a '56 ford f100 from the weeds(been sitting still since'72) that me and my youngest are building. I like that grill on the IH looks like a rib cage, all it needs is a skull on top![cl . We put a '04 cop car(crown vic) front suspension under ours, almost a fit so well you thought they had the old trucks in mind(and its held in by bolts):D we stole ours,(he was at the doughnut shop a little too long;))but most should cost around 400-500. keep us posted[dr[dr

I'm really diggin it[P[P. I recently pulled a '56 ford f100 from the weeds(been sitting still since'72) that me and my youngest are building. I like that grill on the IH looks like a rib cage, all it needs is a skull on top![cl . We put a '04 cop car(crown vic) front suspension under ours, almost a fit so well you thought they had the old trucks in mind(and its held in by bolts):D we stole ours,(he was at the doughnut shop a little too long;))but most should cost around 400-500. keep us posted[dr[dr

You have a build thread going?

Other than a piece of sandpaper and rubbing with my fingers, any ideas for getting at the inside of all the fins of the grille? Please don't say sand blast it.

IMG_20100909_160911.jpg

IMG_20100909_160930.jpg

Still have to finish the lower area but I'm pretty happy I am able to save it. I thought I was gonna have to find another one in better shape. A little hard work seems to have paid off. I should have it done this weekend and ready to prime if I can get in between the fins.

try one of those 4.5" grinders with a sanding disc on the inside of the grill. I have had decent luck with those sanding pads(looks like steel wool with expoy glue all over it) on a drill. Now as for your fingers on the sand paper......well you wouldn't leave finger prints if you held up a bank!!:D:D:D Keep in mind it's not really that bad until you go to bed thinking about sanding...after you have already done just that for the past 6 hours:p

Need to get the chassis rolling so I can get it under my covered patio where I'm gonna pull the motor and transmission. Plus keep it out of the rain this winter. It rained the other night and I have flash rust everywhere!!!!
Anyway, I cleaned up all the front suspension/steering and gave it a cheap Walmart primer finish. A friend of mine who has a tow business said I can come out to his yard and get 4 good tires for free. Might need at least 1, maybe 2 new tubes to get the new tires mounted up on the Harvester split rims. Then I can have the chassis rolling again and be able to move it around as I work on it.
My friend has cars/trucks crushed just to get rid of em. I'm keeping an eye out for a 9" rear and maybe get it for dirt cheap out of one of the cars he's crushing. I know he has an Explorer in the yard right now. I need to find out what rear is in it.

IMG_20100911_134456.jpg

IMG_20100911_134324.jpg

IMG_20100911_134158.jpg

IMG_20100911_134239.jpg

looking at that shot from the back that thing would be sweet shorten'd to about where you have the cab now, and a small rat bed on it![cl[cl[cl.

looking at that shot from the back that thing would be sweet shorten'd to about where you have the cab now, and a small rat bed on it![cl[cl[cl.

I know. That was my original intention for this truck. It wasn't until I realized how solid the metal was that I decided to just street rod it out. Once this one is done I will do a real rat rod truck with a stubby bed. As you can see I was playing around with it to make it look cool. ;)

Had to get some professional help today.....

As you've seen, it's taken me awhile to get the motor and trans out. So today I brought in the big guns to show me how it's done. I just sat back and took pics ; )

IMG_20100912_142523.jpg

IMG_20100912_143015.jpg

IMG_20100912_144757.jpg

IMG_20100912_145742.jpg

lookin good![P i wish i was that far along with my sons, it tough working a full time job then working on bikes after that(trying to make that a full time)...thats the easy part. getting a 14year old motivated is the hard part i was talking about:D:D

Latest posts

Back