MAIDEN Build. 46' IH Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After much thought, I really don't want to regret not using the Jag rear in my truck. I know myself, and I would have wondered how much better the ride would have been if I just did it. Only reason was the gear ratio and the cost to change it. But, I'm so far off from being done with the build, I have plenty of time to figure it out. So my 46' K3, the "Harvester of Sorrow", is gonna roll on a complete Series III Jaguar XJ6 Independant Suspension. Front and Rear. I'm rubber mounting the front and rear the same way Jag did it. The rear will be left in the Jag cage so it can be rubber mounted. The look of the uncaged Jag rears are too sweet, but with the long bed, I'm going for function over form on this. It will end up looking good when it's all painted and rebuilt so who cares. It will be hidden under that long azz bed anyway. So I got it home, hosed it down, and got it out of my truck with the hoist. Mounted the wheels and just rolled it under my truck. I'm pretty happy with how it's sitting. I need to get back over to get the rubber mounts off the Jag so I can see if it's just gonna bolt right in. It sure looks like it. If anything, the angles of the notch of the frame might need to be adjusted so the rubber mounts are sitting proper. but, like the front suspension, the mounts line up right under the rails ; )

The radius arms are another story.

IMG_20110201_104359.jpg

IMG_20110201_104556.jpg

IMG_20110201_110521.jpg

IMG_20110201_114724.jpg

WOOOOO HOOOOO

Now this is getting exciting. Fits like it was suposed to be there[cl

nice looks like it fits right in there, i was also thinking of using a independent rear end since im going with a custom IFS front. how much did that rear end set you back? Can you get some better pictures of the radius rods?? Also i say you should section the cab[;)

I like the idea of the jag rear! Something different. Looks like it's going to mount in nicely. I wonder if there is a supplier out there that would have replacement rears you could swap out?? You're build is looking great!

I've been looking for new gears since I bought the XJ6 parts car. $500 for the whole car by the way. I've got time to figure out the gearing issue. If I don't find a new set of gears for it, maybe I will find a rear out of an XJ12 and just swap them out. They are posi and have 3.55's. I've got time. But, need to figure out the mounting. I'm gonna leave it as it for now until I get the wheels/tires I want so I can get the front and rear of my chassis sitting how I want it.

Looks like it in pretty good shape. Ive been trying to get my partner at Champion Muscle Cars to build a truck once an for all. I'm doing a 46 Chevy right now but that looks like a fun build.

Don't quote me on this, but I think that jag rear is a Dana 44. If so finding gear sets and diffs should be a breeze. I'll see if I can find some info for you.

Don't quote me on this, but I think that jag rear is a Dana 44. If so finding gear sets and diffs should be a breeze. I'll see if I can find some info for you.

I've researched it a ton. Its a 44 but its different. An adapter kit is needed or modification is required.

Thanks guys. I hope it works out. I'm excited at the thought of the smooth Jag ride and handling. But I still have a very long way to go. Magazine?????? Hahahah that's funny. Only way is if a local car show gets some magizine coverage and it's one of those pictures showing a bunch of cars and mine just happens to be in the photo. But that would be cool. ; )

I'll just be happy if it runs and drives nice. The looks dept will be a project of its own. I may build the chassis to a completed, painted, and finished state. Then restore the cab so I can get it back on and finished. Then slowly finish off the front clip and bed after the truck is already on the road. Again, too far off to really know what I do. Just day dreaming here ; )

Latest posts

Back