MAIDEN Build. 46' IH Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20110205_161722.jpg

IMG_20110205_161708.jpg

IMG_20110205_161556.jpg

IMG_20110205_161532.jpg

Last edited:
I went yesterday and picked up a bunch of steel for finishing off my frame. Boxing plate material, boxed tubing, channel,.... 80' of steel for $120 It sure is nice to have connections. Not sure how much he saved me but I'm sure it was a lot as the workers in the shop that cut the 20' lengths of steel for me were looking at my invoice with a strange look. The "who is this guy and how did he get these prices" look. Love that.
Anyways, switching gears for a few so I won't have any progress pictures on the rear for a while. I'm gonna build a frame for the bed. When I was gonna use the Explorer 8.8 rear axle in my truck, I bought a set of leaf spring hangers for about $60 from a local 4X4 parts manufacturer. Rough Stuff Specialties. It was the front hangers and rear shackle mounts with poly bushings. Rather than scrap them or sell them, they will work as the rear pivot mount for my tilt bed if I use them together. So I'm building a frame out of 1'x3" x .120 box tubing that the bed will attach to. It will mount on the end of the frame with the poly bushing and pivot there. The front will rest on rubber pads on the top of the frame. I will fab up a spring loaded latching system with the release on the drivers side to be able to quickly tilt the bed when fueling and what not.

The start of the Tilt Bed. Just tacked it together and test fitted it in the bed. Fits like a glove. I need to clean up the bed sides and remove the last two crossmembers from the old bed floor. Then I can work out the rear pivot mounts and front landing. Then make the crossmembers for the wood planks. It's a start......

IMG_20110211_113113.jpg

IMG_20110211_113141.jpg

IMG_20110211_121058.jpg

IMG_20110211_122636.jpg

Looks really good! Those welding magnets sure are handy.

-Both sides of my driveway have a bunch of annoying white stuff. :mad:

They are predicting some 60+ days for next week, so I may see some green soon.

46 ihc

Your truck is cool. I have a 48 K-B-2 that i am makeing a daily driver out of. August 2010 vintage truck magazine page 28 has all the info about the I.D. tags. There should be one on top of the firewall and a production number tag inside the cab on the panel just in front of the driver door. Stay outside/Live within

Attachments

• redmans 067.jpg
    redmans 067.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 16
Your truck is cool. I have a 48 K-B-2 that i am makeing a daily driver out of. August 2010 vintage truck magazine page 28 has all the info about the I.D. tags. There should be one on top of the firewall and a production number tag inside the cab on the panel just in front of the driver door. Stay outside/Live within

If you have the mag, can you scan it and email it to me? here is a site you need to be a member at. It has all the info you can ask for about Binders. The ID tags will only get you so much.
http://oldihc.org/main/

Looks really good! Those welding magnets sure are handy.

-Both sides of my driveway have a bunch of annoying white stuff. :mad:

They are predicting some 60+ days for next week, so I may see some green soon.

Yeah, I got em' over at Harbor Freight for dirt cheap. They are great but not the best. I was at a Welders Supply place a few weeks ago and they had some there that were so much better. They had on/off switches. You could place it right where it needs to be easily and switch it on and the thing does not move. very strong magnets. These cheap ones are fine for some jobs.

Latest posts

Back