main bearing clearances?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcat

i was wondering if anybody could help me out with main bearing clearances for a 53 dodge 218 flat 6. i finally got around to pulling the engine & want to install new mains,rings & a valve job. any info ideas are appreciated thanks

not familiar with that particular engine but based on others i've worked on, 2-3 thousandths seems like the number i remember...(ford/chevy bigblocks)

someone on here has posted a link before to specs for different motors-but i don't remember who, or where ( of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most!)

According to Mahle / Clevite:

"For most applications .00075 to .0010” (three quarters to one thousandth of an inch) of clearance per inch of shaft diameter is a reasonable starting point. For example a 2.000” shaft diameter would require .0015 to .0020” bearing clearance. (.00075 X 2.000” = .0015” and .0010 X 2.000” = .0020”) Using this formula will provide a safe starting point for most applications. For High Performance engines it is recommended that .0005” be added to the maximum value determined by the above calculation. The recommendation for our 2.000” shaft would be .0025” of clearance."

Latest posts

Back