Make part of frame into air tank

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid

I'm going to be installing an exhaust horn on my truck and it will be powered by compressed air. I was thinking that instead of installing an airtank, that I could block off one side of my frame, which is 2x4 rect tubing and use that to store the air. This would also serve as a way to route the air to the front. I'd have a small compressor in the back pumping air into the frame, then up front I would plumb it to the air horn. I figure it would be about a 1.5 gallon tank.

The only drawback that I can see is of moisture builded up in the frame rail but it's not like I'll be using it all the time. I could install a relief valve at one end to drain it. Anyother issues you think I may run into?

Sid

My buddy, who is an amazing fabricator, built a radical custom underslung frame for an S-10, that used the frame rails for the air supply to the air bag set-up...

i wouldnt do it. ive seen it done. but you need to have awsome welds. plus once you drive it and the welds flex you get small leaks. a frame flexes way to much. plus the tank size is very small if you are only using part of the frame.

I would just buy a 5 gallon tank.

Latest posts

Back