making a outside shifter?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metal doctor

was thinking about making the shifter outside the cab. ive seen it on a couple rods. was wondering how about doing it any of u guys done this mod before. i have a 47 ford truck with a c5 auto tranny.:cool:

i think i got it

do u put the shaft on a knuckle and then threw the bering and use the stop on the (inside)? or out. what about hooking it to the lever on the tranny? :cool:

I am sure it can be done, but make sure it is done properly. The most important thing will be to make sure there is some sort of lock-out to keep it from jumping out of gear. Do NOT trust the detent spring inside the transmission to hold it in gear for you, especially with that much extra weight hanging on it. The first time it goes from drive to park at 80mph you will have a rude awakening...

I am sure it can be done, but make sure it is done properly. The most important thing will be to make sure there is some sort of lock-out to keep it from jumping out of gear. Do NOT trust the detent spring inside the transmission to hold it in gear for you, especially with that much extra weight hanging on it. The first time it goes from drive to park at 80mph you will have a rude awakening...

Agreed. I forgot about the weight issue. a lockut would be preferable.

Once upon a time before the Speedway catalogue guys actually built things that worked. Gonna have to use your brain on this one.

But IMHO I think it would be goofy as hell, not to mention dangerous and impactical. Why? To be different? Sometimes being different just for the sake of being different just doesn't make sense. I would get your truck up and running and enjoy it before you worry about gee-gawing it up with silly things like an external shift handle...

My $.02

Latest posts

Back